Possible Western Plot: Son of a Gun

I have never ever written a true Western. However, tonight while watching the voice I heard Adam Levine catch himself. He was going to say Son of a (something that is not a gun) then added the word gun.... The way he said it put a story idea in my head.

I'm thinking it's a one-shot right now. But what I have so far is a single woman raising her son in hard times. When her husband dies, the only thing she has left his is six-shooter and bullets. First, she learns how to shoot, then she teaches her kid before they start running from the tax collectors who want the woman's blood since she can't pay on her land after her husband died.

It's either that, or I tell the story from a man's point of view. He remembers one of his parents being a gun slinger. I'm not too sure where to go with that plot. Maybe he's captured and getting ready to face death and he remembers the life he had with his parents? They both could be gun slingers for that matter. Outlaws on the run...

This is not going to happen for a while because I am determined NOT to start anything while I'm working on the three stories I'm trying to keep up with now.... I'll probably change my mind about it three hundred times before I make it happen. but we'll see.

Thanks for reading,
Nikki
October 22nd, 2014 at 03:12am