NaNoWriMo's Coming: A New Approach

Image


Hi, all.

This year I'm doing NaNo again for the third time. In previous years, I've reached the 50k goal but those stories were still unfinished. This time around, I want to take a different approach to writing this new story. Instead of working in a straight order, I'd like to write the story scene by scene and then, in the end, get it all ordered up and fill in the gaps.

I'm definitely nervous about this way of writing because there are obviously a lot of possible pitfalls. I worry that the story will seems disjointed; that the characters and plot won't develop and grow properly; that a lot of those 'story' nuances will get lost because I won't be initially writing it as a story. But, I do think that writer's block won't be a problem this way. It might help to be able to keep focus on small bits rather than the whole, at least at first. Who knows? Either way, I'm excited to try it and generally excited about NaNo.

In other news, with the challenge only about 10 days away, I still have a lot to work on. While I know what I want my story to entail, I still have to figure out the characters, setting, and a more focused plot. Oy! Hopefully over the next week or so, I'll be able to fill in some more details.

Anyway, if you're doing NaNo this year, have you checked out the Mibba Events forum lately? It's all about getting ready for NaNoWriMo. Will you be joining/creating/working with Writing Groups? Have you decided what you'll be working on yet? How much planning have you got done? What kind of work have you put in already?

So much to do, so little time.
October 23rd, 2014 at 12:31am