Fall-ing Apart

I love the fall. I like the colours in the forest I live next to, I love making chocolate milk in the afternoon and I adore Sunday walks through the fields.
But ever since the beginning of the fall I found a few articles about basic white girls on Buzzfeed and how much they love this colourful season and now I’m not so sure about my love for the fall anymore. Most of all because I don’t ‘celebrate’ it like the Americans on the Internet do.

First of all, in Belgium we don’t identify girls as ‘basic’, but I’m going to give my opinion about their fall activities as a fall lover that isn’t American anyway. I am very curious about the fact if American girls do that stuff for real in the fall.

In Belgium we don’t drink pumpkin spiced coffee or eat s’mores only in the fall. We don’t pumpkin spice anything at all although we eat a lot of pumpkin soup and s’mores. We eat s'mores all the time actually. The reason we don't drink pumpkin spiced coffee is because not every city in Belgium has a Starbucks (I know, right).
We don’t picnic in the park and that because we don’t really have parks. If a city has a park it’s a park with a bad reputation, so not at all picnic-proof.
And we certainly do not carve pumpkins while listening to Taylor Swift. Pumpkin carving is what we did as kids, but since alcohol isn’t a good combination with knifes, we don’t do it anymore.
What we still do is play in crunchy leaves. But we plan a weekend far away of all humanity for that so no one can judge us. We dress up as lumbers as well during those weekends.
We go to Halloween parties as well and we do dress up, but it isn’t classy at all and we don’t celebrate Oktoberfest. We go to Oktoberfest.
So basically I can conclude that I live in the most emotionless and pessimistic country.
Nah, that’s not true, it’s just Belgium.

For those who are interested in the Buzzfeed article, here it is: http://bzfd.it/ZdaUXn
October 28th, 2014 at 12:47pm