NaNo Log #1 + Stuff for You

It's day EIGHT and this is my FIRST log. Jesus. So I'm sure a few of you - at least like three, right? - have noticed I went ghost for a few days.

No, that wasn't a pun tied to my novel. Ha. Anyways, I wanted to check in with some links and let you know how things are going for me!

I took a little break because there was a big issue with my sister running away. Again. If you are friends with me on Facebook or follow my Instagram or Twitter accounts you may have known this. Since we share a room I decided to give my mum all my trip money because I knew she didn't have the money to buy bunk beds. Worst mistake of my life. My back has been even worse than normal, so sitting at my desktop is killing me. Really.

Also I wanted to mention that I'm using Fast Pencil to get my stuff together as I go along. It's pretty neat. What brought me to it was something I had seen in the offers section of the NaNoWriMo website - probably it was the only online writing tool that was free. There's also an import option for EverNote, which was helpful because I think while I have to lay in bed without a laptop I can at least get some stuff done and then import it directly to my novel on Fast Pencil. If you haven't, you should definitely check it out and see if it's for you.

Not only is a graphic designer that follows my Twitter working on a cover for me, but I entered myself into the 30 Days, 30 Covers on NaNoWriMo. With the amount of people not only on the site itself, but participating, I doubt I'll actually make it into being picked but it was a cool thing to do. Unfortunately the girl who is doing my character art hasn't gotten back to me, but hopefully she will. I definitely want my character page done before I do anything with my story here.

I've also gotten a halo because a lovely Tweeter donated in the names of a few of us, which was such a sweet gesture. Next year for #DoubleUpDay I'll try to do the same.

If you didn't know, the offers forum section is packed full of things that you're sure to love. The reason I want to finish my book this month is purely for the joy of printed copies - LuLu is offering 1 free hardcover print to winners, and Create Space is offering two prints. This alone is definitely a reason to get on the NaNo site!

The lovely ML for the Long Beach/Torrance region sent me some cool writing tool printouts for planing so please leave your email here if you would like me to forward that to you. Also leave any links to your NaNo stories so I can check them out!

My word count as of now is 1,556 not counting my dedication, acknowledgements, etc.

Pathetic.

Novel: Twenty-One
Wrimo Page: nanowrimo.org
Excerpts: For weeks now the idea crossed my mind that Thomas was trying to communicate with me, that he was still here. The idea itself seemed like something from a book or bad reality television show, but I could feel something. My best friend, Emma, was the only person I was comfortable enough to tell, but even she said that I was probably just in shock still. Just as I had expected, but still that reaction hurt coming from her. So again I splashed water onto my face and tried to tell myself just like Emma had that this was only my mind playing a cruel joke on me.

--

Words floated from phone line to phone line between my sad sobs while I explained that I didn't want to kill myself. One of the hardest parts of my day was giving in to the number on the pamphlet I had been given just a few hours earlier. That empty feeling inside of me swelled until it felt almost impossible to ignore when I thought of calling; it made the events of my day feel real when I so desperately wanted them to be anything but. Before I knew it my small fingers were pressing the even smaller buttons in the order that appeared before my eyes.


But yep, I think that's it! I better get back to writing so I can catch up a little faster!
November 9th, 2014 at 07:34am