Room #1

Well... here we go! My first "room". hat to write about... hmmmm... Oh! I know! I have a little thing to share with whoever has the time to read his...

I was walking down the street today in my neighborhood and I saw a black man. He had this ugly look in his eye that told many to stay away. He was dressed in baggy dark clothing and had a ciggarette in his mouth burning to its last breath. My first instinct was to walk quickly past him, as I have done many times before on my usual walks. But this time was different. I suddenly felt different about him. So I approached him. He had a hat out in front of him with change in it; the money he collected from people who were brave enough to get so close to him. There was a young man who beat me to the homeless man. He stayed as far away as he could and dropped a quarter into the hat before quickly stumbling away; careful to stay as far away from the homeless man as he could.
I watched as the man sneered at the younger and I walked straight up to him. Not like the young man had, as if the homeless man was an untamed animal in a cage. No. I walked to him and smiled. I asked him if he was hungry and he didn't answer. I smiled again and walked into the nearby Trader Jo's, walking out soon after with a ham sandwich in my hands. I gave it to him and he eyed it nervously. I smiled and remained persistant and he took it, but didn't take a bite from it. When I looked at it a little confused he told me, "Thank you... Never in my life have I been so happy..."
He smiled at me then. It was a contagious smile and a smile that filled my heart and made my grin widen.
As he saw this he smiled just as much as I and said, "Seeing you smile made my day more than having food did."
After conversing for a short moment I had to leave and did. I looked back once and saw that man smiling and taking grateful bites from the sandwich.
Such small things can have huge impacts on people... And it can have incredible impacts on you as well.

<<Ross the Shameless>>
November 20th, 2014 at 02:14am