Back in Black | Writing Pet Peeve + NaNoWriMo + Life + Cute Celebrities

Well hey! The following image has no relevance to this blog, but it makes me feel cool.

Image
AC/DC, Back In Black


Moving on, then. I haven't been blogging in a while. There's a million excuses, but you don't necessarily need to hear it all. Just so you know, this is going to be a heck of a long blog. The title gave that one away, I'll bet. I hope you stick around though, 'cause I have a lot to say and no one that I actually want to say it to besides all of you.

Image
The Wonder Years, I Just Want to Sell Out my Funeral


Anyway. So I think I've stumbled upon my greatest writing pet peeve of all time. Comma splices, a lack of imagery, too much dialogue are all big things that bother me, make no mistake. But the largest issue that I have is when authors do not change up their sentence structure. It's lazy writing and it needs to stop.

My biggest example of this is in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I have not read her other work, but I frankly hope that it's nothing like this trilogy because the style really bothers me. I have nothing against her or the people who enjoy her work, it's just an example of my pet peeve. If her work was targeted at a younger audience, I'd take no issue with it. But as a young adult writer, there either needs to be more variance in her sentence structure, or the removal of the violence that leaves her books as YA literature. Once again, just my opinion, but it does bother me.

Image
Movin' On Up


(I apologize if you don't like the cheesy song references. Just a warning: they're going to continue.)

So NaNoWriMo is coming to a close. Only eight days left, but just under 18,000 words left. My, oh my. Normally I wouldn't be so worried, but I've made the writing, editing, and self-publishing of my novel into my senior project, so I have no choice but to get it done and on time.

If you haven't checked out my novel, I'd really appreciate some more feedback! I understand if you don't have the time or the interest, but I have to plug it.

Image
Muse, Our Time Is Running Out


Besides NaNo, my life has actually been crazy as well. I got hired and started my new job this morning! The pay is much better than my last job and I like the environment so far much better as well. I've also been accepted to my top choice, where I put my deposit down. A few weeks later, I was told that I'm a candidate for their honors college as well, which I just finished the application for.

Image
Blink-182, Going Away to College


I've been exceptionally hormonal lately, which will lead to the last part of this blog a little later. In my personal life, it's causing a lot of issues because I'm essentially crushing on any guy that I'm friends with or pays me any attention at all and it's just not a good situation. I have two main guys right now, Joey and Carlos. We're very good friends, and I'm working on convincing myself that's all I am with either one of them. It's not going very well.

Image
The Beatles, Boys


What a segue. So, in addition to the boys that I actually know, all of my celebrity crushes have been especially active in my mind lately. I've decided to bore you all with some pictures of them because I've already done this much, so why not?

Superhero Celebrity Boys:
Jeremy Renner
Image

Chris Pratt
Image

Mark Ruffalo
Image

Like, I know I'm super obsessed with superheros and heroes in general but these actors jut make it for me. Don't talk to me about any of their ages. It's a sore subject, okay? OKAY?!

Music Celebrity Boys:
Ahren Stringer
Image

Jaime Preciado
Image

Devin Sola
Image

Girls:
(Yes, I'm biromantic. Still asexual. Okay? Okay.)

Taylor Momsen
Image

Emma Roberts
Image

Kaley Cuoco
Image

Lzzy Hale
Image

So that's me right now! Let me know what's up with all of you.

Love you guys!
Until next time,
xoxo Laura
November 23rd, 2014 at 01:08am