Do I Quit? (Help, Please!)

At 22, I finally got my first job last week.

I started on a Friday and met the girl who would be training me. Her and I got on really well and she was great at showing me things. I was nervous, of course, (it's my first job!), but she was so friendly and nice and I thought, after time, things would be good.

Fast forward to now, and I'm regretting ever getting this job in the first place. I honestly think I'd much rather have stayed unemployed.

(And FYI: The place that I work at is NOT a fast food place; it is a locally owned barbecue joint.)

I've never had a job before, so everything at this job is completely new to me. That means it might take me a little longer to learn certain things, as I've never really had any experience with them before. (And the people who hired me knew that this would be my first job). Now, the girl who was training me (who has been at this place for three years and has trained nearly every person whose blown through there) told me that two weeks is around the time that I'd start doing things on my own.

I felt a little iffy about that, but accepted it. So, I follow her around for the first few days, mainly just learning where everything is and sort of how this place runs. The next few days after that is only when I start to get hands on and actually doings things. I start to slowly feel more confident, despite mistakes that are made in aplenty, and think that I can do this - that I can earn some money for myself. But I also communicate with the girl training me that I don't feel ready to be on my own yet (this is about the first week mark) and she says that she completely understands. She reassures that even after two weeks, if I need more time to be trained, it would be given to me.

Today, however, I go into work (after a full day of classes) and see that the big boss (the owner) is there. I'm looking over my schedule, seeing when I work this week, and she comes up to me in order to inform that it was time for me 'learn how to fly'. I shit you not; that is what she said to me. I stammered for a bit, panicked a lot, because the girl training me told me I'd have at least two weeks and it had just nearly been a week since I started here!

So I tell the owner that I don't think I could do it by myself at least four times before the night starts, but she always mutters some jumbo about me being ready and all that. We start to get busy and it's not until I'm running back and forth from the front and the drive-thru and the kitchen that I realize she's stuck the girl who was training me in the kitchen, meaning if I did have a question or need some assistance that she wouldn't really be able to help me.

Now, here are all the things I was expected to know how to do tonight (keep in my mind that I've only been at this damn place for a week):
- ring people up at the front on a register that I'm still not familiar with
- take orders at the front on the register that I'm still not familiar with
- take call-in orders over the phone even though I don't know everything to ask the people
- ring up people who order through the drive-thru even though I barely know any of the prices
- take orders through the drive-thru even though, again, I don't know the questions to ask
- help make the food, even though this isn't even my job; besides, I don't know how to make half the stuff we sell

That is everything the owner had expected me to do on my own tonight after having only been at this place for nearly a week.

I ended up getting completely over-whelmed and, finally, after I'd went to her balling my eyes out, she finally pulled the girl who'd been training me out of the kitchen so she could assist some.

Later on, after I'd calmed down some and the owner had left, the girl tells me that I should call the owner in order to see if she is supposed to train me anymore on Wednesday (which is when the owners sister - a manager who is absolutely awful - is supposed to come in). So I call the owner and she says:

"Most people catch on to things in about four or five days. You've had nearly two weeks."

I took that as her calling me stupid. However, I remained polite and listened as she told me that everything would be like it had been at the beginning of the night: I'd work it all by myself.

I get off the phone with the owner and that is when I seriously start to consider quitting.

The manager who I would work with on Wednesday is a very unhappy, rude, and snarky person. I know that if I'm going to have to do everything on my own that I'll definitely make a mistake Wednesday and that the manager will chew me out (and I know I'll start crying). And I don't think that any mistakes I make would be my fault because these people aren't even training me!

So, should I quit?

To be honest, this is just the tip of the iceberg for this place. Since I've got there, I've been lied to three different times by that manager, been told of people stealing other peoples checks there (was told it was the managers daughter-in-law and that's why nothing's been done about it), and physically witnessed as this manager chewed out someone for a little mistake.

I go to college full time, so quitting wouldn't be that big of a deal... I just... I want to make sure it's the right decision.

I hope this all makes sense. I'm so upset and my anxiety has gone through the roof because of this place and I have no time to do any of my college work... I'm so stressed out and this job is just...

>.<

What should I do?
December 2nd, 2014 at 06:33am