Christmas Day Will Not Be the Same This Year

So Christmas is going to be a hard one this year. My parents are in the process of divorcing but they’re still living in the same house – separate bedrooms obviously because my mum can’t stand the thought of sharing a room with the man who cheated on her and tore our family apart. So instead, as my sister is home from university and the spare bedroom is no longer a spare bedroom, my dad will sleep in my room on Christmas Eve (ready for Christmas Day) and I will sleep next to my mum in her double bed. But that’s not the only difficult element. My dad still wants to have a ‘Family Christmas Morning’, opening all our presents together, and I don’t know how I feel about that. Yeah, I want to watch my sister and brother open their presents, as well as my mum, but my dad? I don’t want to share this holiday with him. He’s still acting like we’re one happy family, when we’re about 5 seconds from falling apart, all because of him. I don’t know, it’s all too difficult for me to deal with right now. At least we’re not having to spend the entirety of Christmas Day together. My mum, my sister, my brother and I are going to my Uncle’s house (my mum’s brother) for Christmas lunch and the evening, and my dad is going up 2 hours away to his mum’s (my nan) for the whole day, so at least we’ll be separate that way.

I just hate that nothing will be the same anymore. Christmas is meant to be about family, right? I’m just not coping well with the fact that my family is no longer the family it used to be.
December 4th, 2014 at 01:35pm