Santa Claus 2.0

Once I tried to explain Sinterklaas to a foreigner and that wasn’t easy.

So tomorrow, every year on the 6th of December, it is Sinterklaas. And if you are not from the Netherlands or from Belgium you probably won’t understand.
Sinterklaas is an old man with a white beard and a red and white coat. And no, it isn’t Santa Claus, although Sinterklaas sounds basically the same.
How could this be even more confusing?
But the biggest thing about the old guy is that he brings presents to the children who behaved very well that year.
But he isn’t Santa Claus.

Because Santa gives adults presents as well and Sinterklaas doesn’t.
They both walk on roofs and dive in chimneys, but Sinterklaas has a horse as a companion and Santa has Rudolf the reindeer. And Santa has his elves as little tiny cute helpers and Sinterklaas has Zwarte Piet.

Wow, that seems like a coincidence.

Actually, I wrote this blog without even knowing the background of Sinterklaas and Santa Claus. But they’re kind of the same and I would bet that a thousand years ago they were the same man. If anybody knows why this is, please explain. I’m craving for the answer.
But anyway, I got 2 times a present a year in the same month when I was a kid. So whoever came up with the double Santa, thank you, buddy.
December 5th, 2014 at 08:29pm