Conquering My Journalistic Fears

So yesterday was a big day for me at work. A woman was murdered inside of her home and her body was found somewhere else. So, I had to go to the neighborhood of the woman's house and talk to neighbors.

Part of me always feels weird about knocking on people's doors to interview them. But, when a photographer and I got to the house, there were other media people there. So, it wasn't as scary but then, I was freaking out because these are big-time media people from our coverage area.

We had reporters from channel 3, 6 and 10 and another paper that we often compete with.

But once I got talking to the neighbors about this woman, it was fine. It was just a heartbreaking story.

Then, I had to go and scarf down my food back in the office, and turn around and go to the police station for a press conference.

Mind you, I've never had to do any of this. So I'm still stressed out.

Then as soon as the conference is over, I'm trying to write my story and my computer freezes. Twice. So I had to restart. Twice. And I lost all my work.

Luckily, my aunt and uncle live around the corner from where I was, so I went there, used their wifi and got my story in.

That glass of wine was well deserved last night my friends.

BUT. Long story short, I conquered another journalistic fear. One point for Kristina!

What are some of your fears that you face at work and have conquered?
December 13th, 2014 at 05:50pm