Culture Shock (It's Friggin' Cold up Here)

So, happy holidays, first of all! I hope you're all safe and warm and all that good stuff. I can't even believe Christmas is in three freakin' days. I also kinda can't believe I'm where I am for the holidays - me and my family are in New York, since everybody else on my dad's side of the family lives up here. (Yeah, we're oddballs. The accents up here are throwin' me off.)

And speaking of being thrown off, holy crap, there are so many things that are just different up here. o_O I mean, I know that some things that exist in Florida don't exist up north and vice versa, but still. Frankly, it's odd, driving up the interstate and seeing certain stores fade in and out.

Like, we were here during the summer for a week, and I had another weird kind of culture shock, but it's more potent right now for some reason. XD I keep seeing places and comparing them to the places I already know. The other night, we went to a supermarket that didn't have conveyer belts - the cashiers just pulled your stuff straight outta your cart! I know I sound like a doofus when I say that, but hey. (And it's just plain weird to not see Zephyrhills water on the shelves. o_o)

Bunch of weird grocery stores up here. I saw a Food Lion on the way up, which I haven't seen in years since the last one in my town closed a while ago. No Winn-Dixies, no Publixes - just Piggly Wigglys on the way up and Price Choppers.

And Wegmans.

Ohhh boy.

I walked into one for the first time over the summer, and my God, it was like a bigger Publix (which is held in pretty high regard down in Florida). F*cking FANCY as heck. I've only experienced it twice, but I already know that I wanna throw one in my pocket and take it back down with me. (Yee haw and everything, but c'mon, it was huge!)

There's a bunch of stray lumps of snow on the sides of the road, too. From what I understand, it snows a little bit, the sun comes up and melts it, and then nobody bats an eyelash. God, it's pretty, though.

Well, I'll shut up. Happy Holidays! :)
December 22nd, 2014 at 09:00pm