Body Types and Shaming

This is a rant. Deal with it.

There's only one thing about the Holiday's that bothers me, and that's returning the clothing I get from my parents, friends and family.

For some reason society feels the need to characterize everyone, while we laugh at being a 'basic white girl' or 'smart Asian' or whatever, it's still stupid. What in the fuck is so wrong with liking yoga pants and taking pictures of your coffee? I didn't realize it was physically inflicting pain on your soul. Why do people feel the need to put down things that some girls like to do and make it negative? No one's calling you a basic dude for liking sports, failing at picking up women, lying about getting laid and not finishing any project ever?

One large and easily fixable comparison is the double standard between male and female bodies. Why is it so normal for a naked woman to strut around naked -- vagina and all -- on television or in a movie, but you never ever see a penis? I don't get it.

Here's the really easy problem though. Why do men's clothing stores go up to size XXL and women's are lucky to make it up to an XL (I'm looking at your American Eagle, Dynamite, Garage, etc.)? Why do we characterize our bodies so differently? Why are there stores that only sell size XS and are inducing eating disorders into sixteen year old girls (cough: that Melville store). I won't even get into how I wear a size six at some stores and a ten at others.

My point is: why does the world need to call women plus size, curvy, skinny, or whatever? Why are men just called men? And very occasionally 'Big and Tall'? More importantly. Why do girls care? I read an article on Buzzfeed, it was fashion tips for 'curvy women' the comments section is unreal. There's two sides, one from women who are happy with their bodies, and one that is focused on shaming them (surprisingly, they were mostly men). The problem:

1. That's their body, they can do what they want. Why are you so threatened or disgusted or whatever with them that you feel the need to make rude comments.

2. If you really need to categorize women -- do it properly. Curvy is not equivalent to plus size. I do not think any would refer to Kim or Nikki as 'plus size'. I'm curvy -- not plus size and as a result nothing fits me and I have a joy of returning Christmas presents. This is not the point.

The point is we all need to stop criticizing each other. Be confident in yourself and you won't need to. The only person anyone should be trying to make happy is themselves. But I have one last important message for girls with body issues, because everyone has body type issues.

You're not fat, love yourself. You're you and you are therefore the best thing you can be. Your self worth is not proportional to a number on the scale or how many dates you go out on in a month. Your self worth is your opinion, everyone has things they want to change about themselves -- I mean I just had 60% of my boobs taken off, but that was mainly for medical purposes.

If that's not enough for you I want you to know that your body actually wants you to be fat. That's right. It's for child bearing purposes. After you hit puberty the enzymes responsible for fat metabolism slow down and are inhibited. It's one of the reasons why women 'require' less calories than men.

We are all different in someways, but we are more the same then some people realize.

Peace out and Happy New Year!
December 28th, 2014 at 08:49pm