Our Experiences Effect Us, but Do Not Define Us.

The year 2013 was a very long year for everyone, it seems, and I swore to myself I would make 2014 a year to remember... but I never knew what was about to happen. You know, sixteen is such a fragile age. You make mistakes, you gain responsibilities that will set you up for the rest of your life, you fall apart, you learn who you are, you experience things that you can never take back, and honestly probably wouldn't ever want to. You grow up. And you don't even mean to.
Sixteen is when you spend nights in your room thinking about 'that guy', and cry on your best friends shoulder when your world begins to crumble. Sixteen is drowning out life with music and trying to just get past this rough patch, and even though you feel like no one understands, we are all going through it together and you look at these people you went to preschool with and you have to just sit back and realize you are all growing up, and just, experiencing life. Sixteen is dancing in the rain and hugging people you recently met, but you can't imagine life without them. It's having all the passion in the world, but nothing to do with it. You make decisions and you cut and dye your hair. You fall in love a couple times and you learn who your real friends are.
At sixteen you screw everything up and sometimes people are there to catch you, and sometimes you learn how to stand on your own. You set boundaries and build up walls, but then you break the boundaries and open your heart and soul. You fight with your parents because they will never understand you, and then you call them on the phone when you are in trouble. You hug your grandpa's new girlfriend and actually eat her cooking with an open mind and realize it is actually really good. You give up the little purple car you always pictured yourself driving and get yourself a little ranger truck and smile at the boys as you park in the truck lot at school. You spend to many hours binging on netflix and scrolling through your Facebook, Tumblr, and Insta. You take selfies and talk in 'lol's and 'omg's.
Being sixteen is trying new things; some you will do over and over, and some you hope to never do again. It's doing the same thing over and over to prepare you (Uh, hello ACT practice number 3) and going outside the box to a place your mind never thought possible. And if you are lucky, you will learn a few things along the way:
We all deserve happiness. If you love him and he loves you, then honestly, who the hell is anyone else to get in the way? We go through heart breaks and we fight with our best friends and laugh with our enemies but it's just because we are young. We are learning. "YOLO" is a lot of pressure; you live again and again every single day, and each day you have the chance to forgive, to apologize, and to smile. 'It is what it is' is a lame excuse to not get up and change something. Life is to short to hold grudges and be bitter and cover up lies.
It's the last chapter in the story of 2014, and honestly, I couldn't be happier with where I am at.
When you are sixteen, you learn to love stronger, forgive faster, accept easier, and control yourself better.
You cry. You laugh. You live.
January 10th, 2015 at 05:02am