Finishing Stories That Are Your Babies

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but when I finish a story, I'm really sad that it's over. Really sad. I've got quite a few finished stories in my repertoire and it never gets any easier! I mean, I'm usually excited about it because I want to see the reactions and move onto something new, but I'm always really nervous about what people will think of the endings (I don't think they're my strong suit, but readers seem to like them).

But, there are some stories I get more attached to than others. I have a series with two stories in it right now. The first one is called Trouble-Maker and I started it in 2011 and ended it in 2012. So the writing isn't my best, but it's just the most amazing thing I've ever written, because it led me to the sequel, Infinite. I have become SO attached to these stories and the characters. I know them so well now.

So now I'm finishing Infinite. Actually, I've been trying to finish it for awhile, but I wanted to do it right. But now I've figured out exactly how I want to it to end and it's written, and I just have to post the last chapter. All I have to do is the click the submit button. But I just can't do it!

This is how I want it to end, this is how it's supposed to and has to end. It's a perfect ending. It's written well, it's surprising, it leaves and gives just enough. I know it's perfect for this story, but I still can't post it yet! I was really excited about finishing this, and now I can't do it.

That's how attached I am. It's crazy to me.

I'm even writing another sequel (apparently there's no specific word for second sequel) and I'm just not ready to move on. Part of me is waiting for some comments to come in on the last one so I can see how people are handling it so far. I posted tonight already, so I'm trying to put some time between the final chapter and the last, but I'm really going to miss this part of the story.

Do you guys have any stories like this? Ones that you're so attached to?
January 10th, 2015 at 07:11am