Stop Romanticizing Unhealthy Relationships 2k15 (on Nick Jonas)

This song is awful. I'm sorry, but it is.

"Jealous," by Nick Jonas. It's everywhere. I had been doing a really good job of not hearing it, and turning the station rather than make myself angry by listening, but then I heard it four times on the radio at work this morning. Four. In five and a half hours. That is unnecessary and sad.

It's sad because the premise of this song is literally "I am totally insecure in our relationship and threatened by everyone and whenever someone of the opposite sex looks at you wrong I get disproportionately angry BUT IT'S ROMANTIC BECAUSE IT'S ONLY BECAUSE YOU'RE SO BEAUTIFUL."

Can we just not?

It's unbelievable how often unhealthy relationship dynamics are portrayed as "romantic." PSA: If your significant other gets angry and possessive over simple social interactions because he "[doesn't] like the way [someone]'s looking at you" and then tells you it's his "right to be hellish" because you're so beautiful that he can't help but be threatened, that is not cute. It is not romantic. It is a sign that you should RUN THE HELL AWAY FROM THAT RELATIONSHIP IMMEDIATELY. It is a sign that the person either is completely insecure, doesn't trust you at all, or feels that you are a possession of theirs that they feel the need to protect.

But you know, no one wants to listen to a song about effective communication and trust--i.e., an actual healthy relationship--so this stuff gets passed off as love because, you know, trusting your partner just isn't romantic.

This has been a rant.
January 13th, 2015 at 09:02pm