Who Gives? Respect for an Optimist's Point-of-View

Forgive me, I am new to the whole blogging concepts - so if I do a few things wrong let me know! Now onto some thoughts of mine:

What does it take for someone to get respect?

I have found, that for all my years, I have had to live a hard-knock-life for someone to respect me. Let me put it another way... If I have not been through what others have been through, I will inevitably get these words: "You don't know what it's like to X,Y,Z - you must be sheltered/naive." Is that truly the case though? Does one have to live a life of trials and tribulations to acquire wisdom or are there many paths?

I will be honest, I am an idealist and/or an optimist. Truly this is what I feel makes others jump to conclusions about me.This does and will alter my views on anything - including those ideas and ideals in which i'm "supposed" to be jaded. For example: I do feel that artificial intelligence can and will be a good thing if done correctly. Rather a simple point of view, I feel. However, I feel due to many insightful sci-fi Hollywood movies and an uneducated populace who eats that up - having a positive view on, admittedly, a potentially dangerous technology is considered ignorant.

But why? I admit I'm not an expert in the field of A.I, but does one need a degree to have an educated opinion on something? It is not expert opinion to be sure - but in a discussion with another layman, does one have to assume a negative opinion for one's opinions to be respected?

It can be irritating when trying to have an intelligent conversation just to have the others dismiss you on the basis of conflicting ideas. Is it that hard to change an idea with sufficient evidence in a conversation? Apparently it is so. Perhaps we should look into information on how to have a decent and civil discussion. Sadly it seems to not be taught by parents these days.

Additionally, why is it hard to understand that knowledge is attainable even if one has not "escaped from a gang life", kicked a bad drug habit" or "had a family who beat them"? Does one have to be "street smart" to be smart at all? Also if one is not "street smart", does that make them sheltered?

I feel that not having street smarts does not equal stupidity, and that not having street smarts doesn't make you ignorant. For example - does one have to live the life of a young, American black male who gets thrown in jail to know that racism still exists and is disproportionately affecting minorities? Or can one learn that through other means? Does one have to live through a paralyzing marriage and crippling divorce to know how it affects someone and have empathy for that person? Or can we understand and learn that knowledge by maybe... listening to them speak about their experience?

People like to use that excuse all the time when you give an opinion.

"You don't know what it takes to leave a gang - what can you know?!"

"You don't know what it's like out there - you've never lived in poverty! What can you know?!"

"You've never had money and then gambled it all away! What can you know?!"

"You've never lived life on the edge! What can you know?!"

The answer usually is: Quite a bit.
January 14th, 2015 at 02:14am