Happy Australia Day

I doubt many people know (or maybe they do, idk) but today is Australia Day (26th Jan) and instead of going to an Aussie Day BBQ with my boyfriend and his weird work friends, I decided to stay home and jam on my lonesome. Basically, we celebrate today to welcome the first fleet that landed on Aussie shores and basically started civilisation known as Australia today holla and also a day that the Indigenous Australians lost their land because of the invasion in which sorry Aboriginals we do legit suck and we sucked bad back in the day but we're trying now which I suppose is better than nothing?

On Aussie Day, there are BBQs and beers and sales galore while we celebrate having a day off work AND new people coming to Australia - their citizenship is celebrated today and there's usually a mass parade in the city celebrating the new cultures that are coming down under. SO YAY TO THAT.

I made a Aussie Day blog last year but I don't want to regurgitate what I said there. Instead, I'll point out one of the favourite things I like to do on Australia Day - listen to the triple j hottest 100.

The triple j hottest 100 is a 100 song countdown of the songs played on the triple j of the previous year. The music is generally unknown music being given a chance to be overheard on the radio - basically non mainstream music being given the chance to reach a wider audience. The songs to vote on are based on songs that have been played on that specific radio show during the year. Recently, there was a campaign to put T-Swift on there but ultimately she was banned because 1) she's never been played on triple j and 2) she's already well-known and doesn't need that exposure.

So if you like indie / underground / non-mainstream / awesome music, listen here for your enjoyment. You're welcome.

BTW, last year's winner was Riptide - Vance Joy, and if anyone knows that song you know it's hella awesome (PLEASE LISTEN IT'S AWESOME I'D LINK BUT I CBF SOZ) and it showcases only some of the music that is featured. The countdown is currently at number 42 with artists played such as Run The Jewels, FKA Twigs, Lorde, Flight Facilities, Kendrick Lamar, etc. SO GO LISTEN OK YOU'LL THANK ME LATER FOR LISTENING TO GREAT MUSIC

To all the Aussies out there, hope you all enjoy your day!
January 26th, 2015 at 06:51am