Jaywalkers Rant.

Okay, so I could go on and on for days about jaywalkers. They make me want to pull my hair out and scream. Practically all of my family has heard me go off about them at least one time or another.

Lately, it's been brought up a lot. There have been at least three people killed locally in the past week by hit and run incidents. And the cops still don't do anything about jaywalkers, even though it is a huge problem in this area.

There is simply no excuse to run out in front of a moving vehicle when there is literally a crosswalk twenty feet away. It is the most stupid thing you could possibly do. You put yourself in danger, you put the cars around you in danger, you put people in the cars around them in danger. There are enough obstacles on the road, don't be another one. You are a serious asshole if you think getting across the street one minute faster is more important than someone else's safety.

Unless somebody is on fire or choking on the other side of the road and you need to save the day, you can wait for the crosswalk light to change. Like any logical person does.

This might sound extremely harsh, but I don't feel sorry for people who get hit by cars while walking in front of moving vehicles. I feel sorry for the driver who hit you. It is something they are going to have to live with for the rest of their life. That guilt, that trauma, that reminder. It's unfair and it shouldn't have happened. All because of your stupidity.

What if there isn't as much time as you think there is? What if a car doesn't see you? What if a car is coming from somewhere unexpected?

I've gone off about this on Facebook before, but parents jaywalking with their children is the absolute worst. Not only are you putting your child in serious danger, you are setting a bad example. You are telling them that it is okay to walk in front of a moving object that could potentially kill them. And they will most likely follow in your lead and continue to put themselves and others in danger when they get older. Ugh, just don't do it.

In no way am I saying that people are to blame completely. It is a driver's responsibility to pay attention to the road and be prepared for anything that could happen. But it's just common courtesy to not be an asshole.

I could go on for a long while more, but I think you catch my drift. What do you guys think about jaywalkers?
January 28th, 2015 at 01:40am