Korean Dramas.

The title explains what I am here to talk about. I've thought about making a blog like this for a while, but I've never had the energy to do so. Either I've been watching K-Dramas, or I've been reading/writing. I've finally gotten around to it though.

Well, for those who don't know what K-Dramas are, they are a wonderful creation made by South Korean directors. They are usually sixteen to twenty-some episodes long, and about an hour to an hour and thirty minutes long. They are full of love, hatred, heart-wrenching scenarios, and plenty of awkward situations.

If you don't know me, I am OBSESSED with K-Dramas. Obsessed is more of an understatement, honestly. Once you watch one drama, you have to watch another. There is no only watching one. It's impossible. And if you've watched one, and only one thinking that you shouldn't have even started watching it, you seriously have watched the wrong drama. Like, seriously. Watch another drama. Now. Stop reading and watch.

Anyways, I feel as though dramas are extremely better than American shows. Yeah, America has a few decent shows, don't get me wrong, but after watching K-Dramas, my show expectations for American shows have increased. Every time I watch a show, I'm like, "Come on! Bring in a family member who hates this person's wife," or, "Are you going to kill the parents yet?" or possibly, "Can there be some sort of rain scene?" Seriously. Dramas make you expect so much.

There are always plenty of Drama clichés, which I absolutely love. A lot of people don't really like them, but I think they are adorable. I've seen plenty of rain scenes, where the two main characters stare at each other from across the street. There's always some parent and/or relative who absolutely hates the person the main character is going to end up with. I feel like someone always dies, too. Either a parent, sibling, main character, or a close friend. And the main girl AND guy always end up sick at some point. And then the other character always ends up taking care of them.

THE WRIST GRAB! The biggest drama cliché ever! I love it! Especially when the DOUBLE wrist grab happens. They have a lot of overdramatized kiss, too. And the back hug. Probably the three most common clichés. In dramas, I feel like the main girl always hates the male lead, but then they end up dating. Cliché, check!

K-Dramas are literally my life. I've been watching them since the summer before my sophomore year, and now I am almost finished with my junior year. I've been watching dramas for two years, which isn't as much as most people, but it's still a start! I've seen probably around fifteen, not including Taiwanese or Japanese dramas.

Dramas I have seen are the following: Boys Over Flowers, Playful Kiss, Angel Eyes, Emergency Couple, You're Beautiful, Heartstrings, The Heirs, Pinocchio, To The Beautiful You, K-Pop Extreme Survival, Coffee Prince, Fated to Love You, I Miss You. I feel like there is more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

My first drama that I saw was Boys Over Flowers. I think that this is a great drama to start off with. It's adorable, and I highly recommend it.

My favorite drama is Emergency Couple. It's hilarious, yet it can be serious at times. Yeah, the couple didn't have very good chemistry, but they are still pretty cute together. Song Ji Hyo is my favorite Korean actress. She's gorgeous, tough, and extremely talented. I love how she doesn't really care what she looks like. Choi Jin Hyuk is absolutely phenomenal, might I add. My favorite actor would be most likely Kim Woo Bin. He can be so mean, yet so adorable. I love him.

When it comes to my least favorite - and this is extremely hard to decide - I would have to say it is Playful Kiss. I just felt like Oh Ha Ni was a little too clingy to Baek Seung Jo. Playful Kiss wasn't bad, but I think it could have been better, honestly.

Okay, now on to my friends. I have like one friends who is interested in Korean Dramas. One. Only one. And I absolutely hate it. I need more friends who have this obsession. The thing is that she lives sooo many states away from me. This one friend I have always talk about how I like Chinese things (talking about K-Dramas). NO! It's Korean. There is such a difference. Not that I don't like Chinese things, because I do. Or when they say all Asians look the same. I seriously want to like throw them in a pit full of cannibalistic, starving humans. They look way different.

Another thing I hate is when people comment on how it's odd, or weird for me to like Korean Dramas. I like what I like, you like what you like. I'm not over here dissing your kind of music/shows. Please, just stop. Oh, and when they hate on dramas even when they haven't even seen one. Gosh, I seriously dislike some people.

Sorry for my little rant, but I had to get it out. My friends just don't understand me.

Alright, so I will end this blog with my all-time favorite drama quote.

"Just once... I'll say this just once so listen up. I like you. Whether you're a man or an alien, I don't care anymore. I tried getting rid of my feeling, but I couldn't. So let's go as far as we can go. Let's give it a try." -Han Gyul, Coffee Prince

"What's so hard about love? You simply grab the other person's hand, and refuse to let go." -Goo Jun Pyo, Boys Over Flowers

"You said you loved me to death! You wanted to get back together, but I said, 'Are you crazy?'" -Oh Jin Hee, Emergency Couple


So yeah! If you have any dramas to suggest, please do so! I'd love to watch any drama recommended.
February 11th, 2015 at 04:49pm