Uni and Ethics

I'm finally going back to uni next week and until yesterday I've been getting pretty excited. I spent all of yesterday on campus with a friend trying to sort out his enrolment but just being there was making me excited to go back. I've only taken a six month break but it feels like its been way too long. So, I did the thing I do almost every semester before uni starts and I checked what all my assignments are going to be for the semester and apparently it's going to be one of the most difficult semesters I've ever had. In one ethics based subject I have this assignment that isn't very hard, but it's honestly going to be emotional abuse. I have to write a dialogue from one of the given topics, I've managed to narrow it down from 11 to 4.

The remaining 4 are:

Has there ever been a just war?
Is there a meaningful distinction between ‘combatants’ and ‘innocent civilians’?
“Terrorists deliberately break the rules of war, and so have lost any moral right to be treated decently” . Discuss.
Should torture be legalised for use in certain (extreme) circumstances?

I honestly have no idea how I am going to manage to do this. I can easily write on the topics but I honestly dont know if I will ever be able to write from the perspective of someone who is supporting war and torture.

It's going to be a hard semester, I can already tell I'm going to get in heaps of political arguements and knowing the lecturers I have I'm probably going to be looking at very graphic things that I dont want to think about. I'm already dreading going to a class which I havent even been to yet.

If anyone has any ideas of how I could argue most of these things that would be helpful. I understand that I need to be able to argue both sides, and usually I can, but these arguements just go so against my own moral code that I dont know how I could possibly do it.
February 13th, 2015 at 01:58am