Desi Representation

Guys, I'm gonna start putting Desi people in all my stories, whether major or minor characters, cuz Desis are beautiful and grossly underrepresented in everything (New York is called Little India for a reason and the amount of Desis in England is ridiculous).

For those of you who don't know the term Desi, it's people from South Asia (so India, Bangladesh (ME!!!!), Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc). That entire area is literally home to over 1 billion people so y'know there are a lot of us that exist. It ain't just white people in the world lol.

Here are some beautiful Desi faces for you to see:

Image
Fawad Afzal Khan *dies from hotness*

Image
Deepika Padukone

Image
Manish Dayal

Image
Nargis Fakhri

Image
Siddharth Malhotra *drools*

Image
Sonam Kapoor

Image
Arjun Rampal gah damn

Image
Frida Pinto

Image
Aishwarya Rai aka Miss World!!!!!!!

Image
Neelam Johal models for Burberry *wipes tear of pride*

Image
M.I.A *heart eyes*

Image
Mindy Kaling

and lastly

Image
Zayn Malik is half-Pakistani y'all!!!!!!!!

So this is just a handful of Desi people but I hope that I got some diversity in there (I tried to find some dark-skinned Desi people but I can't find names or anything so I didn't include them). Desis are beautiful and smart and always ignored when it comes to beauty standards (like that dumb trend where women dyed their arm pit hair some color and advocated for hair on bodies except that they nowhere ever included Desi women who are ~typically~ somewhat hairy and not just with arm pit hair).

Plus, I'm Desi and I have a lot of internalized racism in that I always used to wish I was white and hated being Desi (especially Bengali, who're like at the bottom of the food chain because we're supposedly really dark-skinned and our country is in shambles and nobody likes us) but I've started to accept it more and love my own people because a lot of us are pretty great.

Put us in your stories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please and thank you :)
February 16th, 2015 at 05:46am