Masquerade

We, as humans, will adapt too each situation. There is a clear distinction on how to act around your parents versus how you act around your friends. To all, I play the role of the good girl who is always in line and is never breaking the rules. I play the role flawlessly. It's easy to play - dress modestly and hardly ever utters a curse all the while earing good grades. My cousins have gone as far as dubbing me the “Golden Child.” Truth be told, I don’t think I deserve such a title. All too often I make the wrong choice or fall a little short of who I want to actually be. The only reason they call me that title is because they don’t know the real me. I put up a front like most people do. My persona screams good girl. In actuality I am just a girl. I make mistakes. I constantly fall from grace. Never have I done anything truly remarkable or noteworthy. Yet, here I am stamped as the Golden Child.

The mind blowing part of the story is that any of them could be labeled the Gold Child. It's simple really. Behave on your best behavior any time there is a person of higher authority around. Know who you can be trusted and who is ready to stab the knife in your back. Always know other people's schedules and be sure to know the gossip that is generating. To obtain this you need to listen carefully, be quiet, and constantly observe the world around you. After all, knowledge is power. We are all actors in our own right performing on the stage we call life. Any time they want to end this charade I will gladly remove the mask. These fronts are exhausting and it’s hard to hide all the cracks. However, I refuse to be the one to make the first move. Whenever they are ready so will I. Until then, the show must go on.
February 26th, 2015 at 08:32pm