My Voice Might Not Come Back, You Guys

The past three months have been horrendous for me. The week after I was cast in a principle role of Grease my voice suddenly disappeared. I didn't check it out until nearly two months into it, only to find out I had strep throat. I treated that, and while my throat got better, my voice was still hoarse. Two weeks later, I did a tapered steroid treatment which failed to make any difference. Most recently, my doctor diagnosed me with severe laryngitis so I started antibiotics AND steroids. At first, there seemed to be a difference, but it has plateaued without any sign of changing.

Singing is my passion. I looked forward to my lessons, but I can't even go to them anymore because I've got nothing to sing with. I can sing extremely low, as I always have been able, but I can't use my head voice. Being an opera singer, that leaves me with nothing.

I'm posting this because a while back, I promised that I'd record myself singing so you guys could hear it. Obviously, that's not happening. I have recordings, but they are a bit pitchy and not my best as it was just before I got sick. I can still post them, if you'd really like.

If I don't show progress by the end of the coming week, they might have to do surgery, which would have 50% chance of damaging my vocal chords permanently. Cross your fingers for me.
March 2nd, 2015 at 01:41am