The Bogus Rules of Writing -Not About Mibba's-

Do you know that throughout my entire 23 years the "rules" given regarding the proper way to write a story have been ever changing?

I've read/been told:
-Use long, flowing sentences.
-No! A good writer uses short sentences.
-Be descriptive. Be overly-detailed.
-Don't use adjectives! Rely on your reader's imagination!
-Try starting with a question or description of the surroundings.
-Never start with a question or area description!
-If you write something you like, tear it up and start over!
-Go with your gut. Sometimes the first draft may be the final draft.
-Don't use long words.
-Don't use short words.

The list of do's and don'ts could go on and on.
I mean, I haven't even touched on the "how to properly describe and develop you characters" stuff. *sigh*

Though I've been told and untold many "correct" ways to write well, I've come to learn the following:
--The way you should write depends on the story you want to tell.

This is a lesson I've learned mostly through reading. I have read books in present-tense, past-tense, third-person, first-person. I've read books that jump between characters, follow one character, and some that kind of do both (The Book Theif). I've been enraptured by beginnings of books that start slow, and those that jump right into the action. Some books were written in the same style as others, but weren't as good; some wouldn't make sense written any other way.

My example to show what I mean will be this:
Think about the Harry Potter series (I'm a fan). These books are written in third person. Now take the Divergent series (also a fan). These books are written in first person.
Recently I read that no one should write in third person, and that first person is a much more acceptable way to write...Well, I don't think I would've liked the HP books as much if they were written in first person. The feeling third person gives the stories just captures the magic in a way that would be lacking if it was strictly Harry telling the story.
With Divergent, third person would be too broad for such a personal story.

Go to your bookshelf and open three books. Most likely they all start differently, describe characters differently, and have different writing styles.

My point for this is that there is no "correct" way to write a story/poem/etc. Just tell your story!

However, good spelling and grammar are a MUST. There's nothing quite as annoying as being wrapped in a book and finding a misspelled word. It's like walking into a pole.
(With that said, I apologize for any spelling or grammar mistakes in this piece.)

So there you have it.
-rmh
March 2nd, 2015 at 01:46pm