Thoughts of a College Student

To Study or Not to Study; That is the Question

We have all asked ourselves this. I’m done with class. Do I go do my homework or do I go be irresponsible and party with my peers which will lead to poor choices, hangovers, and thousands of embarrassing and horrifying pictures appearing on Facebook tomorrow morning? I think I’ll go party!

No one likes homework; that’s a given. But no one likes embarrassing photos on Facebook either, right? So how do you choose between the two? Do we just go with the lesser of two evils? Do we just say, Ah, hell! I can handle a few shameful comments from Mom, a few angry comments and Dad, and a few inappropriate comments from that one creepy guy I added as a friend just to be nice. None of that is as bad as a good GPA!

We do crazy and irresponsible things like this and then wonder why society judges us for being irresponsible. Almost all of our lives we have wanted to be treated like adults but we have never really acted like adults! Instead of doing the responsible, adult thing and studying, we go out on a Tuesday night and drink until we vomit.

Now, I’m not saying all of us do this; not all college students are reckless and irresponsible but I think I can safely say that the vast majority of us are. And don’t get me wrong, there are sometimes I actually enjoy partying. I just like a good GPA and an embarrassment-free Facebook a bit more.

I’m no different from other college students; sometimes I don’t study. Sometimes I’m not even sure I know how to study; I just stare at the information and hope something happens! I just stare at the computer and hope my brain downloads it. Sometimes I will spend more time trying to figure out what the word “study” means to me, than actually study.

And when I finally do start studying, I get so distracted! While writing a paper, I’ll write two words and click on Facebook and spend an hour looking at my news feed. I’ll write two more words and watch an entire series on Netflix. I’ll write another two words, and listen to 20 songs in a row. I just can’t seem to focus on my paper.

All in all, every day we face this impending question when we are done with our classes: to study or not to study. And it’s entirely up to us to come up with the answer; whether it’s the responsible one or not, it’s our choice and we love that adult freedom!

Thank you for reading this blog post. Now I’m curious: what does the word “study” mean to you? What are some of your study techniques? What are some of your distractions? How do you utilize time management? And lastly: what is your usual answer to the big question: to study or not to study? Comment your answers below.

ADIOS! – TRINARIE
March 3rd, 2015 at 12:19am