Empty Nest Syndrome & Spinoffitis

I think my dad has officially succumbed to Empty Nest Syndrome.

I'm in college right now, and my brother has been living at home since Spring 2011; he was in college for a few years before realizing that it just wasn't for him, and just a few weeks ago he left for bootcamp. He's joining the navy and I think he's the happiest he's been in a while, and I'm proud of him and everything, but...my dad does not know how to handle this stuff.

He's been posting old family pictures on Facebook and golfing every weekend, and he's even painting our living room. He doesn't even go grocery shopping every week anymore, which is understandable, since it's just him in our house. Well, and the cat. God, he's even talking about giving the cat a bath, but he's gonna wait until I'm home for spring break. XD

I just think it's sort of funny. I get homesick really easily and I think my dad gets lonely easily. And he always says he hates our cat, but something tells me he probably talks to her now that me and my brother are away, which I also think is hilarious. B)

- - -

Spinoffitis. I guess it's probably like sequelitis, but I think I have it.

I'm trying to get out of this month-long slump, but I can't write anything new. All I can do is play around with the characters I already have and flesh out their stories a little more. And it's fun and everything, and sometimes it turns out decent. Like, I'll make backstories or little anecdotes from their past, or maybe just tell an event in the main story from someone else's point of view.

It's just a way to feel productive, I guess. XD Within the past few months I wrote Keeping On and All the Right Notes for the Generation Why Bother universe, and later on tonight I'm gonna post Firsts - a long-ass oneshot in the Who Knows, Who Cares universe. It's about Julian and Kent and...well, I don't want to spoil anything. It didn't go as happily as I usually write.

But I was on a roll last night, I think; I came up with the idea for it and just ran. This morning I read over it and was kinda put-off by how weird it was compared to the stuff I usually write. o_o Eh.

So, yeah, not only am I guilty of sequelitis (and not the Egoraptor type of sequelitis, either), but spinoffitis will probably be the death of me too.

Anyways, have a great day!

Image
March 3rd, 2015 at 10:39pm