Oh How They Rise Up

“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
-Going Postal
-

I was twenty when I picked up my first Discworld book. I had just moved to a new town for uni, into a tiny little room in student accommodation, right across from the library.

I didn't know anyone, and I'm not particularly good at meeting new people, so I spent most of my free time in that library, and that's where I decided it was about time I made a start on the Discworld series So I browsed through the books, and picked up Lords and Ladies, which was about witches.

Given that Lords and Ladies in right in the middle of the Witches series, it's possibly not the best starting place. But I still immensely enjoyed reading it, loved Granny Watherwax and the town of Lancre, and I went on to devour as many Discworld books as I could. It's a love affair that's continued to this day.

Terry Pratchett died yesterday afternoon, at home, with his cat on the bed with him. I like to think that somewhere, he is in Death's domain, drinking tea with Albert and a hooded skeletal mouse.

GNU Terry Pratchett. I am heartbroken that you're gone, but so very glad you were here.

-

"In the Ramtops village where they dance the real Morris dance, for example, they believe that no-one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away – until the clock he wound up winds down, until the wine she made has finished its ferment, until the crop they planted is harvested. The span of someone’s life, they say, is only the core of their actual existence."
-Reaper Man
March 13th, 2015 at 10:15pm