Things I Don't Understand...

Parents who say "Do as I say not as I do."
Um... You do realize that when you say that, you're kind of teaching the child it's okay for you to do something, but if they do the same thing then it's wrong? Which is so hypocritical. Also, if you say that, it means that you know what you're doing is wrong in the first place and you shouldn't be doing it.

When parents say something like, "Because I said so." or "Because I'm your mom/dad."
*sighs* Okay, when a parent says that after a child asks, "Why?" to something, you're basically invalidating that kid and could be upsetting them and also the kid deserves a REAL answer. Also, "Because I said so." and "Because I'm your mom/dad" sounds like you want them to just obey you no matter what and those two "answers" aren't even real answers.

When people thinks that a person (whether it be a child, teenager, or adult) has to respect their parents SIMPLY for the fact that they're the parents.
Okay, JUST BECAUSE they're the parents doesn't mean that the kid/teen/adult has to respect them. If the parents don't respect their child, then why do the parents deserve respect? That's right. They don't. If a parent doesn't respect their son or their daughter, then the parents themselves don't deserve respect. To get respect, you earn it. It goes both ways.

When older people think that because they're old, they automatically deserve respect.
Look, just because you're older doesn't automatically mean you deserve respect. I don't care if you're 8 or 98, if you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. But if you act horrible to me, don't expect me to respect you. I don't care what the age is.
March 16th, 2015 at 09:49pm