Moral Dilemma: to Steal or Not to Steal

Hello Mibbians! So today I'm stuck in moral court and the jury is still out on deliberation. Let me start from the top and give you a bit of background before I get too into the story.

I recently got my first credit card, and it's one of those small 250$ limit ones with Victoria secret. And with my move from Washington to Florida I've been in desperate need of a proper bathing suit, so I decided to go to V.S. and get one with my card. After discovering online is out of stock up to it's ears I drove half an hour to the store, only to spend hours finding one that I liked that fit my small busty frame. Along with my swimsuit was a beautiful floral print maxi cover-up that cost about 80$ pre purchase.

At this point the store was really busy, and the line at the register was getting pretty long. When I got to the front of the line the cashier was a really sweet guy, but he seemed a little flustered, calling for help and trying to clock out. He struggled with the big and slippery maxi, much like me in the dressing room, and I told him this was my first purchase on my angel card and I should get the 15% discount that goes with it. So he finished adding the discount and gave me the total and I left thinking it was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

As my mom and I drove home we started talking about it and my total should have been about 100$ more than it was, so I checked the receipt. It turned out he didn't scan the maxi and forgot to give me my rewards card. Now I was in the car freaking out, because we were already half way home and my mom refused to go back. I guess most people would have been happy with free stuff, but this wasn't just a 3$ panty it was 80$, and I was feeling completely conflicted.

On one hand that's 100$ less to pay, and 25$ less in possible interest. On the other hand I feel like a thief and I absolutely don't want that. I only had to think about it for a moment to decide I wanted to call them and have them charge it to my card, but then I realized what would happen then. If I call and tell them, the cashier is certain to get in trouble and possibly lose his job, and I couldn't live with myself if that happened.

So here I am still deciding whether to call and have them charge me the money and send me the rewards card or just leave it and basically steal 80$. No matter which I choose I'm left feeling horribly guilty, and I don't know what to do. I really want to call, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

What would you do?

P.S. I wouldn't judge anyone for keeping it, because I know most people would. I'm just not sue I'm one of them. :)
March 23rd, 2015 at 09:12pm