I Used to Be Good at Writing

For some reason, I've just completely engulfed myself in all things writing lately. Whether it's this seemingly endless Spring Break or the fact I can afford waking up at 3 AM to an explosion of ideas, I frankly do not know. But I know I've missed writing; a lot. Do you ever get those moments? As writers, I know I'm not the only one who tends to drift away from the scholarly pen only to come rushing back for the feeling of calluses on my fingers. I just know it. And do you ever have periods in your life when you look back at your old writings and find yourself much more inspired back then than you do now?

I mean, one of my favorite pastimes is to rummage through the old archives and read what little DC had to say about the world. While my writing and grammar was horrible (and frankly, I don't think I've gotten much better), it seemed like my stories had something that I've lately found myself lacking. And believe me, I have no idea what's missing. It's like when you've had an idea pop into your mind and suddenly, you feel completely excited to put it on paper, but as soon as you're midway through your exposition; you lose interest. And it's the worst feeling, because you try to force yourself to push through, to revise, to make it bearable, but you just can't.

I never had that problem when I was first starting out as a writer. The words would flow out of me, without caring about revisions, character uniqueness, setting descriptions, or malnourished poetry. I had a story to tell and that's exactly what I did. But I can't do that now. Maybe it's because puberty sucks the creativity out of you and replaces it with unnecessary cleavage and a cracked voice. Maybe it's because school has taught me to edit more than write. Or maybe writing was "just a phase".

Do you ever think that? Wow, this first entry is not going well. How do you end these things, anyway?

Poo-tee-weet?
March 30th, 2015 at 07:00pm