This Got Me So Angry and I'm Glad He's Dealing With the Consequences Now

So this thing happened years ago, but ABC did a follow up on it a few days ago. (Article here.)

If you don't know, a while ago there was a huge thing with Chick-Fil-A (or Chick-Fil-A's president) supporting anti-marriage equality groups. Awful, obviously. A lot of people rightfully protested and a lot of people boycotted, etc.

This guy, however, went to a local Chick-Fil-A and took out his frustration on one of the drive-thru workers. He did this and, of course, he filmed it and posted it to the internet. He said things like, "I don't know how you live with yourself," referring to the fact that she worked for this company. And after he did, he was fired from his well-paying job and lost his amazing $1 million benefits. Now he claims collecting government assistance to get by.

But here's the thing, those poor folks getting paid barely minimum wage to deal with all sorts of awful that comes through fast food restaurants have NOTHING to do with how corporate (or the higher ups) spends their money. So you're literally just yelling at and berating this person for absolutely no reason.

Not to mention, the audacity to say to someone working at such a low-paying (and honestly, commonly shitted-on profession) that they should be ashamed of themselves for working there. Listen, most people who work at fast food joints are not working there because it's such a great and glorious job. They're not working there because they're greedy and they're getting paid copious amounts of monetary compensation; so much so that they don't care about whether or not the company is harming the community. NO. They're working there because they have to. They're working there because it's probably the only viable source of income they've got - even if the pay is teeny-tiny. So for some guy (some CFO of another company who's making $200,000 a year) to come to them with that kind of nonsense and attitude...RIDICULOUS!

I'm glad this guy has to see some consequences. I hope this has allowed him to learn why making a statement like that to a worker was so terrible. I hope he can finally see past his privilege, now that he's lost a bit of it.
March 30th, 2015 at 11:15pm