Equality in Media

I really want to point something out to everyone, and I'm going to do it using this clip.

Here we experience an interview with Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner where they are asked to comment on their feeling about the Black Widow's romantic encounters.

A lot of people are going off about how they've described her as a 'slut' and 'whore', even though they are "joking". These words are used by women and men alike to discredit women in just about any situation.

Such as:

"You can't trust that she didn't eat the last cookie. She's a slut."

"You know she's a whore, why would you bother listening to her?" And so on and so forth. And while I care about that, I care about another comment more.

What I'm really concerned about is why Renner says "She's got a prosthetic leg anyway." What does that even mean? That all of her flirting doesn't matter because she has a prosthetic leg and so no one wants her? Or that it's okay for her to flirt with everyone because she has a prosthetic leg.

For those of you who don't know, equality is a big thing to me. Equality goes past gender and skin colour. It goes right up to having a disability. My story Symptoms of Life deals with this theme and is meant to comment on society's appreciation and knowledge of disabilities.

What Renner says makes it seem like he thinks her prosthetic leg makes her less important or human. To me at least, that's how I'm taking it. And that is the most inappropriate thing about this interview.

Not the slut shaming. The fact that she has a prosthetic leg.

What do you think of this interview?
April 25th, 2015 at 04:16am