The Age of Ultron

As we come to that time of the semester (again) where I live my days in a blur of stress, cigarette smoke, caffeine and tears, a bunch of us decided to take a deep breath and go see the Avengers. Last night we went to the 11pm showing and ohmygod. I don’t think I have the words in my vocabulary to explain what these movies do to me.

I have seen Marvel fail and succeed, I have seen the light and airy storylines that make up the beginning and I’ve seen the gritty that make up the middle. I’ve fallen in love each time, with these characters and their imperfections and their ability to come out stronger. In more recent months, I’ve busied myself with their comics and never, in my wildest dreams, did I ever imagine that these two worlds could collide so perfectly.

There has always been a …barrier, a barrier between the two worlds: the MCU and the comics. The former, in my mind, has always been a cross between fanfiction and the comics – a dream come to life, thanks to Marvel’s movie team. Yet, sitting there and watching Age of Ultron for the second time, I realized that there is a possibility for comics to come to life. There can still be the element of personal touch, the vision that Joss and Kevin see, but also the twist that make it so very much like the comics they come from.

The duo, as always, impressed but this time they took it three steps further. I saw the characters I fell in love with due to their actors, to their time on the big screen, become the characters that I had fallen in love with from the pages of their books. They came to life like they have never before and the portrayal was flawless. I saw the hints, mockingly annoying, throughout the movie to the future: to Civil War and Infinity War, to the New Avengers, to something Hulk-related that I just don’t know.

It was beautiful, it was so beautiful.
May 2nd, 2015 at 07:01am