Where Were You?



Honestly. Where were you?

Here's the thing I don't get and I'm trying to wrap my brain around it. When PoC, specifically black people since that's the ethnic group I belong in and can therefore talk about, are talking about race and racism...we're not trying to attack white people.

We're simply questioning and critically analyzing the systematic imbalance that they benefit from which is a system that is [literally] killing us.

And, yet, with that being said...not all black people are aware or "woke" about it.

Like, in the simplest form, black people can be agents of white supremacy.

Which is why it's not totally surprising that 3 of the 6 cops arrested for Freddie Gray happen to be black.

Also, why are we inherently seen as a threat when we call out racism and raise our voices? The second we question and shed light of privilege is the second we're seen as 'attackers' or 'thugs' (since no one wants to out right call us niggers). As the video I linked above clearly shows.

Like...what's up with that?

Like the second we say "Oh XYZ isn't right because this whole system has been made to care about white bodies more" is the second people go "Oh! I shouldn't be ashamed for being white! I'm not the devil!"

...Great. No one was calling/telling you that. Like you're really missing the entire point.

Like, I've said this a thousand times that black pride does not equate to white hate.

Having us repeatedly ask white bodies to check their privilege in NO WAY equates to us telling you to be shameful of being white.

We're simply asking you to critically look at a system that you benefit from and use those benefits to stop what can almost be called a genocide.

It's not that hard.

And while I'm on it, privilege is a subconscious thing.

Like take mibba as an example. Like when white users on this site talk about racism in a blog, those blogs blow up and get 20-30 comments easily. All in-depth. All have a conversation to ride off of.

That's comfortability. That's safe-zoning. Cause privilege people want to hear the views of other privilege people. None of you mean to do it on purpose.

It's subconscious.

While when PoC talk about racism...we kinda get crickets. Like you can ask me, you can ask Deyla (SmilingScarlet), you can ask Nic (fauvism.). We don't get as much of a turnout when we talk about racism as when someone like Connor (orange county.) does.

And we can literally be talking about the same exact thing. And we have. And it happens almost through-and-through every time.

And you guys talk about Freddie Gray, you talk about Trayvon Martin, you talk about Walter Scott and Michael Brown and think you're on the verge of racial progression, when you're really not.

(THE YOU IS OBVIOUSLY UNIVERSAL HERE)

You can be on the ball about racial progression when you also talk about the people who didn't have "violent" outburst around them.

When we also talk about Anthony Robinson and Brian Pickett and Dewanye Carr and Monique Jenee Deckard and Leslie Sapp III and the literal hundreds of others that have died this year alone is when we can fully say that we're trying to make a change.

Call me racist. Call me a bitch. Call me whatever the fuck you want because I've literally been called EVERY NAME IN THE BOOK FOR CALLING OUT SYSTEMATIC RACISM ON THIS WEBSITE.

The fact that me talking about how killing black bodies on the streets and them not getting the proper justice at the same rate as other races in this country is offensive to people speaks VOLUMES.

Just saying.
May 3rd, 2015 at 06:21pm