Freedom of Religion

Or the story of why my face is a blotchy, bloody mess.

I can easily understand why someone may be religious. Without going too deep into the whys and hows of what I think of religion, I think it's an awesome concept, just not one that I can get behind fully.

Every morning my school begins the day with homeroom and, to dismiss us from homeroom, we say the Pledge of Allegiance. I haven't said the full pledge in nearly seven years; as soon as I became fully aware of what I was saying and how it did not mesh with my personal ideology, I stopped saying "Under God". It's still respectful and I'm very much a patriot. I love my country, even if I may make jokes at her expense occasionally.

Then there's this chick who's never sat anywhere near me all year. She must glance over at me just when I don't say it or maybe she has some psycho radar that tells her when someone omits something from the Pledge of Allegiance, but she grabs my arm to stop me from leaving and asks me why I didn't say the pledge.

I informed her that I did, but that I don't say "under God" as I don't quite believe in God.

The look on her face was one akin to if you were to tell a scientist that you don't believe in gravity.

She then told me that I "had" to believe in God.

Now, I am fine with many things. But telling me to conform to your ideology because you are uncomfortable with my own personal beliefs, I draw the line.

Maybe I reacted too loudly, too flippantly, for her to stand, because immediately after I told her that I had a right to my own religion, she punched me in the face.

Like, fucking hell, I saw her clench her fists and shift her position and do all these things that would, normally, tip me off that this person is about to punch me in the face. But it was 8:15 AM, right in front of the teacher, and I didn't think stating my basic human right as an American would result in me being punched!

So yeah. My nose is busted, the girl's suspended, and I look like I lost a battle with a prized fighter, not a violent zealot.

This is the first time in my life I've ever been assaulted for my beliefs. I've been yelled at certainly, and told I'm going to hell multiple times, but I've never been physically assaulted.

Maybe I've just lived a sheltered life, but yeah.

Sorry if this sounds whiny and ranty, but I'm in a whiny and ranty mood.
May 11th, 2015 at 10:29pm