The Families We're Born Into...

…Are not always the ones we would have chosen had we been given the choice. For Megan Greeves, she is starting to realize that the family she found herself born from holds a secret far greater than the average suburban household. Original Fiction is often overlooked on Mibba, but The Alpha's Angel has definitely written a piece of OF that is worthy of readers' attention. Dangerous Slumber is a darker piece, one that reflects the presence of the supernatural in phenomenal ways. It is a mixture of ghosts and witches, the dead and the living, the past and the present. In her writing, Mandy has been able to compact mystery, horror, and history into a piece of original fiction.

Dangerous Slumber takes place in modern Little Barlon, a town with a secretive past. After her parents' death, Megan is entrusted to a family friend, Rick, who tells the teen about her mother's mysterious family lineage. Intrigue sparks Megan's quest to discovering why her own nightmares are plagued with appearances of bloody ghosts and screaming figures. Bit by bit, she finds connections that links her to a possible coven of witches with a disdain for men and children. In seek of answers to her questions, more concerns build as she realizes that maybe this is a family too dangerous to be a part of.

Mandy's writing style bounces between ominous third person to the daily journal entries of Megan. While one perspective offers facts and action, the others gives insight into the personal ramblings of Megan's mind and emotions. It is an excellent pairing that allows the reader to reflect on the history behind hauntings and also the emotional affects they have on the haunted. It is a story fitting for any time of the year, one I definitely recommend to readers in search of a genre not normally found on Mibba.
May 25th, 2015 at 10:19pm