[Blog One] Culture Month.

I decided I'd take part in culture month, and considering that New Zealand's rather small and I don't even like most of the culture that's here, I decided I'd just show you my small piece of the world. I live in a little area of one of our largest cities, Auckland. This little area, is full of native bush, doc martin's and sideways cars. This is; West Auckland.
Image
I've chosen the #17 prompt as my first; Why you love your region.

Below, Is a picture you'll be shown if you google 'West Auckland'.
Image
This is Piha, About a 20 minute drive from my house. It's one of our pride's and joy's. No other part of the city boasts this amount of nature and beauty. West Coast is the best Coast. West Aucklanders, or 'Westies' as we're called, Have an amazing amount of pride for our side of the city - Despite it's overly negative rap, We love it. Here's why I love my Westside!

#1 - We tell it like it is.
Image
Yep. I used to live down the road from this place, and it was 100% a P lab, and how do you remarket a P lab? Well, You tell it like it is; THIS HOUSE WAS USED FOR MAKING P. And you know what, It sold. We're pretty honest around here, We'll call you out on just about anything, including those crocs on your goddamn feet. We have no fear, no political correctness and we aren't shy at all. We'll never lie to you about anything, If we think you're a dick, We'll let you know.

#2 - We're Resourceful.
Image
This happened down the road from were I currently reside, In Glen Eden. This is a different breed of westie out here. We'll do whatever it takes to get a job done. The majority of us are on government support out here, There's stuff all jobs in the area and there's a cycle of poverty around these parts. What happens when you needa move and can't get a truck? Tie the fucking fridge on the roof and make sure it doesnt fall off! This may seem insane to you, but it's an every day thing around these parts. We really don't give a shit. We get the job done, our way. I've seen dudes holding a mattress down via their hands out the window on the top of a car - We aren't scared of the law, The law can piss off. Our cops don't carry guns, and to be brutally honest, They find this stuff just as funny as we do.

#3 - We know how to laugh.
Image
This is my old intermediate school. And Yes, This actually happened.

#4 - We're artistic.
Image
I have seen this hideous thing with my own eyes, and yes, It really does look like a cloud penis. This is hanging up in between apartment buildings in the suburb of New Lynn (One of our least inviting areas), It's really...something. And yes, The council did waste $200k on it.
Image
^ This is on the wall of a fish and chip shop in the neighbourhood I grew up in. I changes frequently, in the dark of night - No one knows who does it, but whoever does is wonderful.

#5 - We don't like big government.
Image
This is just ONE of the hundreds of billboards that was 'improved' during our last election. Take heart though, This man's political party stands against gay people - They deserved it.

#6 - Our Cars are second to none.
Image
Okay, perhaps not this one (spotted in my childhood home, Te Atatu Peninsula). But the rest of them are pretty damn good. We're a big fan of drifting out here in the wild west. As soon as the rain starts, within half an hour you'll hear a skidding car. It's a beautiful sound. One of the highlights of West Auckland is our drag nights, they vary (as they are illegal) but it's a beautiful thing to see car's dancing together in such a way. You never get over the smell of burning rubber.

#7 - We gave New Zealand one of it's best shows.
Image
Outrageous Fortune was filmed, and based upon West Auckland. It follows a crime family, and the lead females journey into trying to pull her family out of the criminal depths. It's the most real thing you'll see about West Auckland. Watch it on Netflix if it's up there, You won't regret it. You may not believe it, but West Auckland really is like this show. We're an area of crime, especially robberies (which is what this show is centered around). Drug related crime is also big here (mainly pot, but also P which makes me sad). But this is a look at what a typical West Auckland family looks like. Take a good look. That is what we are. Bogans.

And to finish; Our starter pack.
Image
Yup, every place has one. This is ours.

We may seem like a bunch of law breaking bogans from hell, but we can be nice. Westies are loyal to a fault and aren't afraid to tell it straight. If you ever come visit, You'll be welcomed with open arms...Just lock your car door bro.
June 2nd, 2015 at 04:01pm