Travel Around the Globe With Mibba: Trindad



Hello, Mibbians!

This month I'm participating in both the Culture Month Event and the Globetrotter Scavenger Hunt. So to get started, I'm writing a blog explaining what culture I'll be talking about this month. Let's get started!

So I was born in the US (in New York specifically). My father is Jewish-American (at least a couple generations back) and my mother was born and raised is Trinidad. This month I'll be focusing on Trinidad.

Over the course of my life, I've visited Trinidad a bunch of times. Sometimes for vacations, sometimes to visit my grandmother, and a few times to attend funerals. The last time I visited I was in my late teens (the summer after high school graduation), when my sister and I went together for a vacation.

For those who don't know, Trinidad (or Trinidad and Tobago) is an island in the Caribbean, just off the coast of Venezuela. It's probably best known for it's annual carnival (which is reported to earn the country about $150mil a year), soca music, and Nicki Minaj. But for me it's best known for it's mosquito, lizards, beaches, maxi-taxis, playing in the rain, sugar cane, nagging grannies, and that weird smell of 'heat' when you walk off the airplane.

Anyway, stay tuned for more blogs/posts/tutorials/etc for Culture Month. In the mean time, enjoy some photos of Trinidad (swiped from various members of my family).

Image

Taken from a highway overpass near my grandma's house.

Image

Taken in the city.

Image

Taken in town.
It's called the "Croisee" but pronounced like Kway-zay.


Image

Taken on my grandmother's street near the highway.

Image

Taken on the way to the beach.
Not 100% sure which beach, but probably Maracas or Mayaro.


Image

Taken at my grandmother's house.
This is the little side path you walk to get from the front yard to the backyard
(if you don't want to go through the house).
June 3rd, 2015 at 09:19pm