About Ms. Jenner || From a Trans Point of View

I don't really follow sports. I don't know. I didn't even know who Caitlyn Jenner was until she came out of the closet as a transgender woman and the media blew up. But then I did.

As a transgender guy, I was touched. No, really, I sat there with my iPad, watching her talk, and I just kind of... melted. My heart was a hot potato - wait, can that be said in English? No. I don't know. Maybe. Yes. Let's just go with that.

The thing is, I loved the interview. The courage was outstanding and it pushed me to go a bit further with accepting myself and being able to get out of the closet. Which, by the way, I did a few weeks ago and although it wasn't the best thing in the world, now it's sorta bearable.

Most of all, it wasn't the interview what got to me. No, it was the people who were responding to it. There were some transphobic slurs, sure, mostly because people do not know anything about transgender people. But most of the comments were encouraging, touching, were... nice.

I've never had a problem with my sexuality, I'm proud and out and in your face about being pansexual because I've always seen heterosexual people being proud and out and in my face about being heterosexual. I've never had a problem. I've never been ashamed. I've never truly hid that.

But transgender? Man, that's a whole new level of coming out. The gender norms play such a big part in that, and even if you don't want you, you may act different when a transgender guy comes out, because then you'll be thinking 'oh, is it okay then to ask him for clothing advice? Am I placing him in a stereotype? Can I sleep over at his anymore?' Gender norms are harmful. I've lost people over the fact that I am transgender and I am a guy. I've lost much too many people.

Yet I log in, read your blogs in Mibba, and I immediately want to take a knife to my hair and just chop it all off and be happy for myself. Be out and proud and helping out anyone who may need me.

It's just a thank you, Mibbians. You guys rock, don't ever think otherwise.

Nik.
June 7th, 2015 at 05:21pm