You Don't Like Hardcore? I Don't Get You

So yeah, the title is a bit of clickbait for someone to DEFEND THEIR RIGHTS TO LIKE WHATEVER FUCKING MUSIC THEY LIKE and I get it. Because I'm like that. If someone starts insulting a genre, even one I deeply dislike, I cringe. Everyone likes their music. Leave them alone.

Nah, this is not a blog dedicated to why I hate people who don't like hardcore. I like them plenty if they're nice. I've got a lot of friends who can't stand it. Lately I haven't really had the time to explore new bands, as I've been busy with exams and Senior year and blah blah blah, but yesterday I went to Independance (Rock club in Madrid, great place) and on the lowest floor they were making a hardcore special. In the uppor floor, there was an 80s especial and I thought 'Man, I really am going to stay on the upper floor all night' but then I didn't.

Because as soon as I went down, there was Suicide Silence and I just went nuts. No pun-intended.

As a non-professional singer, I take a lot of care into my lyrics. I'm into lyrics. Lyrics are the best. Gimme poetic shit, I will fucking love it and tattoo it on my goddamn butt.

What's the matter with hardcore music? Why do people dislike it? Easy to say - screaming.

Hardcore has one thing in common most of the time, which is either the fast-paced drums or the intense screaming in replacement of singing. Some singers only scream. Some singers barely scream. Others just belt out whatever mix of singing-talking-screaming thing they do. The thing is that people are, most of the time, not used to screaming as a form of singing. If you don't like hardcore, pleaaaaase stay so maybe I can change your mind.

Let's focus on various things to get your mind off the tracks of 'screaming isn't music'.

1: Lyrics
2: Different screams
3: The instrumental

LYRICS! Dudes. Lyrics whore over here. I'm a guy who loves his lyrics, mm-hm. So let's give a few examples of my favourite hardcore (and post-hardcore, still hardcore, though) lyrics.

They could've kicked in the door but knew the gun was still with him,
One he'd already used and so they feared what he'd do.
I floated up through the window of a room to the West.
I hovered out to the hallway, tried to listen in.
I heard them trying to reason, get him to open the door.
His uncle begging and pleading, half-collapsed to the floor.
He preached of hope and forgiveness,
Said, "There is always a chance to rectify what you've taken, make your peace in the world."
I thought to slip through the door, I could've entered the room,
I felt the burden of murder, it shook the earth to the core.
Felt like the world was collapsing. Then we heard him speak,
"Can I still get into heaven if I kill myself?

-King Park, La Dispute


This is actually based on the shootings at King Park, about the Keenan boy. This gives me the biggest chills whenever I listen to it. La Dispute is one of my favourites, and the melody is absolutely sublime. I mostly think of them as poets with the sweetest music in the background. I strongly recommend you check them out.



We all have our horrors and our demons to fight.
But how can I win, when I'm paralyzed?
They crawl up on my bed, wrap their fingers around my throat.
Is this what I get for the choices that I've made?
God forgive me, for all my sins. God forgive me, for everything.

-Don't Go, Bring Me the Horizon


So Bring Me the Horizon has always had a sort of desperate tone to their every lyric. They're sad, let's face it, they're fucking miserable. Their lyrics reflect on the singer's life and the choices he's made and the regrets he has. They're gut-wrenching and they'll bring out a tear or two. I especially love their last album, Sempiternal, which is a cleansing album. It's mostly just being angry or sad for the last time. This is one of their older songs. The guitars and drums are actually mild compared to other of their songs, and this is considered a 'soft one'.



All of our lives we’ve been told what to believe. “Nothing
is perfect” so what’s the point of purpose? The line that separates the weak
from us who truly care, is one I don’t intend to cross. The heart of man beats
but only in greedy hands, and it seems that most are still content. Where most
are comfortable accepting insignificance, we strive to find the effort within.
If you open up your eyes, and open up your mind you we be exposed to a world as
cold as those who are left to populate it.

-The Disconnect, Counterparts


Again, sad shit. But hey, hardcore isn't for pretty kids with pretty lives. The thing is, this is poetic. It's actually holding a meaning beyond what is usually there in songs. It's nice to listen to pop once in a while, I do it a lot, but when it comes to songs that make you think, there's this.



Come back so I can say thank you for this,
Home cooked meals and a place to rest,
My troubled head when you're away,
I've passed the test, I've earned an A,
Not just in school, but in life,
You'll always be right by my side.
To help me show, hope to all,
That are lost and sick in this dying world.
I'll use the love you left behind,
I'll change their minds, I'll change their minds.

I hope, I hope you smile,
When you look down on me.
I hope you smile.

This can't, we won't know.
I hope that I make you proud.

This is not what it is, only baby scars.
I need your love like a boy needs his mother's side.

-Second & Sebring, Of Mice & Men


This is a bit happier, even if it was written in a sad situation. It's a ballad, per se, dedicated to the singer's mother, who passed away when he was just seventeen. It's always brought me a lot of gratefulness towards the fact that both my parents are still alive and are fighting for me to be happy. It's a nice slap on the face for those like me who sometimes wish they were far away from papa and mama. There's the moment when the singer screams 'proud' before the chorus, in which he described that he wouldn't stop crying while recording it. It's an amazing song. 100% recommend this band.



As I pen these things
It might literally be all I have
Ink on paper
Does any of this matter?
Then I’m reminded of what I’ve seen
The places I love and the people I’ve been
Only Love could have brought me to this place
Holding in me a joyful heart while spit covers my face
I’ve come to forgive those who’ve wronged me
Knowing that they’ve helped make me into exactly who You intended me to be
I’m trying my best to be a better man
Despite all my fears, I really am
I write these things to remind myself
That amidst this darkness, there still remains
Light, Hope, and a perfect plan

-Dear G-d..., Being As An Ocean


Ah, my favourite of all. Being As An Ocean is a mostly optimistic post-hardcore band that has made me very happy a lot of times. It's one that makes me think of the deepest part of a lit-up ocean. Or just the beach at night, or at dawn. It's calm, despite the screaming. It is so very calming, and I deeply, deeply love every lyric, every song, every melody they've made.



Please. Give it a try.
June 7th, 2015 at 06:06pm