Finally! I've Found a Way!

Yeah, so I've been writing on and off for about 10 years now and lately (in the last year or two) I've really struggled to keep my motivation. It's not so much the content of my stories or the subject that is the problem, but it's just my motivation and ability to write without getting blocked and taking breaks that end up turning into a year long hiatus.

It's been really frustrating, because I've been working on one particular story for 7 years on and off and honestly, I had moments where I just wanted to throw in the towel and not bother to finish it. But I didn't, mostly because I always had an ending in mind, but also because people still read it and ask for updates (incredibly patient people, I might add!) I couldn't bring myself to leave it unfinished.

I picked it up about a year ago and managed to get ahead of myself, always making sure I had two chapters written ahead of whatever chapter I posted, which worked for a little while. But still, I lost interest/drive seemingly just out of the blue. Part of the reason was because I have been staying at the boyfriends house and his internet sucks, so I pretty much do everything on my phone here (I hate writing/reading on my phone. It's a pain in the ass) and barely touched my laptop.

Until recently, when I was listening to Alkaline Trio and was randomly inspired to start writing yet again. This time, however, I decided to try something different. I opened up a new document and, knowing my story only had maybe 7 or 8 chapters left before it was completed, I sat down and wrote an outline for each one. It's not a long or super detailed outline, but it's enough to give me direction and keep me on track. Since I started writing again two weeks ago, I've completed 3 chapters and I'm about to start on a 4th.

I've surprised myself with how easy it is this time (although I still sometimes have trouble starting chapters off, but I've always hated that part) and the only thing that is different to every other time is this outline I created. I'm kicking myself I didn't try it years ago!

Ah well.

So, enough about me, what do you guys do to keep yourself motivated when it comes to writing? Any other tips you can offer?
June 13th, 2015 at 11:16pm