Bucket Gardening: Trying Something

Our plants are still looking good, I watered them today. It got up to about 97 degrees today, and I didn't wake until 3pm so I set the plants in partial sun then. I brought them back close to the front door after I got home from a Father's Day dinner with my Dad and family (8pm). I did water them at 3pm, though I know it's best in the evening or early morning hours. The Tomato sprouts are growing and of course so are the potatoes, though I'm going to wait for more pictures lol.

I decided that just in case the soil didn't keep the moisture in such high temps I "made" my own Aqua Globe .

I snatched up one of the beer bottles I kept... because sometimes I hoard bottles, I don't know why. I have about 15 liquor bottles just packed in a box in my closet (that's over years of course!). Eventually I want to make some crafts with them like this:
Image

ANYWAY, this is what I did, just put water in it and stuck it into the soil after watering the soil first:
Image

So I'll check on it in the morning after feeding the cats and before bed. So far the water has been suspended, due to the fact that I watered the soil first I imagine (duh).

Update: I checked the bottle and it was still full, which is good since the soil was still moist. However; I stared at it a bit longer and realized it was closer to one of the potatoes than the others. I pulled it out quickly, covered the hole, and poked a new hole in the center of the bucket then slid the bottle in. I'll check it again later this after noon when I move the potatoes into the shade. I'll write a new blog for those results.
June 21st, 2015 at 09:25am