Bucket Gardening: Update Plus Basil!

Alright soooooo, I decided to take out the makeshift water globe, a.k.a. the beer bottle with water in it. Every time I checked it then put it back it would hit the large bricks I have at the bottom of the bucket so I thought I'd leave it out then just put it back when I add more soil. Speaking of more soil, I'm not sure when to add more. I read in a couple of articles that when the sprouts get to be about 8-10 inches you should. HOWEVER; mine are ranging in sizes from largest of around 7 inches- smallest of barely half an inch. So, dilemma! I don't think adding more soil to one then the others later would be a good idea unless I sat them more directly in the sun so the little one can get some sunshine.
Image

Also look at this, I was excited to see both tomato sprouts up around the same height, but as I took a closer inspection I noticed bug bites. I've read about some home remedies for insects, so I'm going to try those and see what happens. So far I mixed some black pepper and flour and sprinkled it on them, as well as lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
Image

AND since I keep getting eaten up by frickin' mosquitoes when I go out on the porch I bought some basil at the store yesterday, put a couple of leaves in each pot then replanted the basil in my big planter pot. The only thing is, I'm probably going to have to bring it in because as I said in my last post it's getting in the mid-high nineties here, and I've read that they don't flourish in temps above 90.
Image
June 23rd, 2015 at 04:02am