Voice of the Hawaiian People (Mibba's Culture Month Event)

Mission of the Day: Blog about your favorite artist from your region.

Aloha mai kākou!

As you can see, today's mission is all about sharing about my favorite artist from Hawaiʻi. Now, this is a bit tricky because I don't really have a favorite artist. Granted, there are many artists that I enjoy listening to, many of which have been around since I was a wee keiki. Some of these artists include Ten Feet, Hoʻonua, Fiji, Natural Vibrations, Kekai Boyz, and Keahiwai. Of course, there are many more to add on to this list, but if I have to choose just one artist to spotlight, it would have to be Israel Kamakawiwoʻole, also called Iz or Bruddah Iz. You may recognize him from his songs Somewhere Over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful World.

This may come across as a biography, but I've mainly chosen him because of the profound impact that he has had on Hawaiʻi. His songs are some of my favorite Hawaiian songs and have had such a great impact on the way I perceive my culture, heritage, and ancestry (just as powerfully as my Hawaiian Studies courses have).

Fun Fact: Kamakawiwoʻole translates to The Fearless Eyed, which is exactly what Iz was: fearless.

Image

Iz was born in 1959, a few months before Hawaiʻi gained statehood (making Hawaiʻi a territory at the time of his birth). He was a musician and a Hawaiian sovereignty activist. Moe Keale, another Hawaiian musician, was both his uncle and a major musical influence. Prior to releasing albums on his own, Iz was a member of a widely successful musical group called The Mākaha Sons of Ni‘ihau, whose members included Iz's brother and several friends.

Image

As part of the Hawaiian Renaissance, Iz's goal was to make music that remained true to the traditional Hawaiian sounds, as during that period, most of the music associated with Hawaiʻi lacked this quality.

Fun Fact: His 1993 album Facing Future became Hawaiʻi's first certified platinum album in 2006. It has also become the best-selling Hawaiian album of all time.

Image

Through his music, Iz was quite vocal about his support for both Hawaiian rights and Hawaiian independence. Several of his songs touch upon this issue, with Hawaiʻi '78 being an example of this. The state's motto (Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono) is repeated throughout the song as a reminder of his message. (This motto was first stated by King Kamehameha III after Hawaiʻi regained sovereignty in 1843.) He also promoted his support through his life, such as his use of an ukulele, believing that it would symbolize the second-class status pushed onto Native Hawaiians by the tourist industry.

E Ala Ē, E Ala Ē (Arise, Arise)
We, the voices behind the face,
of the Hawaiian nation, the Hawaiian race,
rise for justice. The day has come
for all our people to stand as one.

We, the warriors born to live
on what the land and sea can give,
defend our birthright to be free.
Give our children liberty.
E Ala Ē, E Ala Ē (Arise, Arise)


Fun Fact: Iz's album Facing Future, which features Hawaiʻi '78 was released the year of the centennial of the 1893 overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom. This was also released the same year former President Bill Clinton signed and issued the Public Law 103-150, which acknowledged the wrong committed by the overthrow (although there are several problems with this "apology bill").

On June 26, 1997, Iz passed away. He was only 38. He suffered many health complications and endured several hospitalizations due to his weight, having been morbidly obese throughout his life. He was survived by his wife and daughter.

Fun Fact: He was the third person in Hawaiian history, and the only one who was not a government official, to be awarded the honor of having his koa wood coffin lay in Honolulu in the state capitol building. On the day of his funeral, with 10,000 people in attendance, the Hawaiʻi state flag flew at half-staff.

Iz still remains a strong musical influence in Hawaiʻi.

The life of this land is the life of the people, and to care for the land is to care for the Hawaiian culture.

Mahalo nui loa!
June 27th, 2015 at 09:10am