What's Your Inspiration? // Update Calendar (Maybe?)

In my new story Let's Make a Deal, I found a lot of inspiration in real-life events happening around me, or even to me. I don't want to go into detail about them right now for anyone that's reading the story, but a lot of the things that happen in there are based off things I know of/live first hand.

All the time, I would hear people say that they think it's annoying when authors self-insert themselves in a book their writing. Not so much with original fiction, but those who write fanfiction, because they claim those authors always dance around the "Mary Sue" line. However, I beg to differ: I believe that as a result of having used events and people I know or even myself, I am able to write better and more realistically. I feel like I can truly empathize with characters and really create them to be understandable, lovable, or even detestable to those who are reading, because I know what I'm write. Because it's real. Because it's happening. I have never seen what was so wrong with writing to what you know. If it's truly realistic and true to the people/events you know and not embellished, then there's no way for anyone to be considered a "Mary Sue" or an event to be "unrealistic".

Along with my own life, I take a lot of inspiration from music. Usually, whatever songs I'm listening to at a moment really contributes to the theme of the chapters I'm writing. So, if I'm writing a chapter that's supposed to be sad, I listen to sad music. Etc, etc.

So... What is your inspiration?

Oh! And before I go, for anyone that cares, I'm going to try to get updates out for my aforementioned story on Fridays/Saturdays, EST. Or well... I'll try to keep on a schedule, but where I work full time, we'll see if I can write enough to keep with that promise...

Have a great day!!
June 27th, 2015 at 09:28pm