Canadian Saying (Culture Month) & Care Package & Other Things

I don't think Canada technically has full sayings that we use, at least not that I know of, so I figured I'd just talk about random words/slang that we have. I was looking up lists and I didn't even realize that half of these words are unknown to people outside of the country. Shows how much I know.

1. Bunny Hug

This term is mainly used in Saskatchewan, and since I'm not from there I didn't really know about it until pretty recently. A Bunny Hug is what they call a pull-over hoodie, like one without a zipper. I'm not entirely sure why, because bunny's aren't really the hugging type, but it's a thing.

Using it in a sentence:
"Bring a bunnyhug, it's cold out!"

2. Give 'er

I honestly didn't think this was a Canadian saying, but according to Google it is. Give 'er means to go hard, basically.

Using it in a (very Canadian) sentence:
"We were losing the hockey game, so we had to give 'er in the third period."

3. Kerfuffle

Another example of a word that I thought was used everywhere. This word is the best, how does no one else use it?! Back when I thought it was cool to have "Favourite Words", this was one of mine. It means a chaotic situation, basically. I use it all the time when something goes wrong:

"That was quite a kerfuffle!"

4. Loonie and Toonie

These are our dollar (loonie) coin and two dollar (toonie) coin. The loonie is gold and has a loon on it, which is apparently a common bird in Canada which I've never seen. The toonie is gold on the inside and silver around the outside (bi-metallic according to random websites) and has a polar bear on it.

5. Double-double

I mentioned this briefly in my giveaway blog, but this is coffee. Well, a coffee with two creams and two sugars in it. It's mainly used when you go to Tim Hortons (our most famous coffee shop), but you can go anywhere and ask for a double-double and everyone knows what you mean.

6. Chesterfield

I'm including this as my last word because even I think it's ridiculous. This is what we call our sofa/couch. Like the thing you have in your living room that you sit on. Well, some people use this word. I prefer to just call it a couch, because chesterfield is harder to say and sound ridiculous.

Using it in (yet another very Canadian) sentence:
"Gonna have a sit on the chesterfield and watch the hockey game."

So there we have it. My last culture month blog on the last day of June talking about weird words we use. On another note, tomorrow is Canada Day and we always have fireworks at midnight the night before and it decided to start raining. Typical.

*****


I've been trying to decide what kind of care package to make, so I decided to do one on Mibba/the internet. I haven't quite decided what to do for it yet, but if you're interested in getting some cool internet-y stuff related to cultures and stuff, let me know! Literally the worst description BUT I PROMISE IT'LL BE COOL.

*****


You know what I miss? Customizable profile layouts. I used to spend so much time looking for the perfect one and change it to how I liked it and putting in my little bio and adding stories to the "In Progress" area and stuff. I miss those. Now we all look the same. Sad times.

I'm currently looking for inspiration for the 20 drabbles I still have to write for the ABC Drabble-a-thon (I still have hope that it'll happen), so if you have a short drabble or one-shot you want me to read, leave me a link. And I'd love if you checked out this, this, this, this or this in exchange!
July 1st, 2015 at 01:10am