The War on Kittens. (Seriously.)

Today I'm bringing you an important issue, Mibba.

If you have an Australian friends (or if you're Australian yourself), you have probably heard the name Tony Abbott. This man is our current Prime Minister (the leader of our country) and he's been doing all sorts of things that a majority of the public don't agree with: refusing to let them vote on the topic of same-sex marriage, cutting payments to people who truly need them, he's trying to kill clean energy.

Basically, I've spent the last few months telling everybody who'll listen that he's a dictator. I never used to care about politics, and now my country is being run by a moron and you simply can't ignore it. And then yesterday I found out about this.

For those who don't want to read the article, here are the highlights:

- the title: Federal Government to declare war on feral cats;
- the plan: two million feral cats culled by 2020;
- the why: they are a serious threat to native species and that [Environment Minister Greg Hunt] wants the feral animals eradicated from five islands and 10 mainland enclosures within five years.

So okay, it doesn't sound so bad, right? Getting rid of wild cats that are killing the native wildlife?

Now I draw your attention to this Facebook post, which details:

- the how: using poison bait "sausages", shooting, killer dogs (serious) and any other weapon of mass eradication to kill every cat that isn't indoors;
- the extra madness: a "Dob in a cat" app and website allows the public to register any street or wild cats the see. Cat haters are already logging cat families into the site and lining up the guns and dogs (or any other weapon they can) to kill moggies.

Basically, cats all over Australia are now at risk of being killed if they're found outdoors. Got a cat-hating neighbour? Better watch your back. Got more than three cats on your property? You're in trouble.

As a life-long cat lover and somebody who lets her cat outside during the day (only when there's somebody home), this seriously worries me. I don't want my cat (or any of the other six owned cats or more I've seen on my street!) to stumble across a poisoned sausage or killer dog!

And what if a child was to stumble across one of these things?

And so, we come to the point of my post.

There is a petition, and I would really love it if everybody (cat-hater or cat-lover, Australian or international) would sign it, share it with all of their friends, and fight with us.

Imagine if it was your pet, or your child, at risk.

You can find the petition here.

Thank you.
July 18th, 2015 at 11:47pm