Things I Wish I Knew as a Senior

Which, on the flip side, goes to 'Things I Will Do As A College Freshman'

Hey, guys!

The days to summer are CLOSELY coming to a close. At least for me. I officially have like 22 days until move-in day. Yeah, just got the email and I will be sharing a living space with 4 other girls and my roommate has the exact same first name as me...so yeah.

Anyway, with that, I feel the need to compile a list of little things I wish people told me when I was a Senior and that I will take and do as I am a freshman.

1. If you haven't done your college essay already...do it NOW

Legit. It does NOT have to be perfect and it doesn't even have to be complete if it is not an assignment that's due when you go back to school. But, at the very least, have an idea of what you're gonna write and make sure it's unique. Everyone talks about divorce and bar mitzva's and how it's changed them as people. We get it. What really makes you, well, you? You can talk about an experience that seems out there. Like I wrote about my short-lived business venture with a friend and how it felt to be an ambitious, and naive, CEO and how things may not just work in your favor in life. Write about an experience that not only sets you apart, but something that you have passion about. Or at least outline it. Chances are, by the time you're back in school that idea is gonna be trashed, burned, edited, and rebuilt all over again. And that's okay if you have an idea of where you want to go.

2. You will get sick of college talk

As a Senior, I (and a lot of other people) was OBSESSED with college. Talking about it, looking at it, working towards getting into it. And when you're in that whirlwind, it honestly takes over your life. All to be over by January. Once January hits and you've submitted all your applications and finished your essay and are just waiting for someone to reply...you're exhausted. You're gonna be so over college when January hits you it won't even be funny. By then all you're gonna want to do is take the SAT again and wait for some answers. Then when you're done with that by like March-May all you're gonna wanna do is rep your new school for the gram and graduate. Trust me.

3. It's never too late to get involved

I grew up with an overprotective parent (HEY!) so when I would get involved in an after-school activity I couldn't usually stay in it for long because of him so by like Sophomore-Junior year I just gave up. Yet, I started a Black History Month organization club with a few of my friends Senior year...and it was so good. I was juggling that and a weekly internship/volunteer service. And, in all honesty, I feel those combined factors helped make my Senior year not only the most enjoyable, but also the most academically strong. I graduated with not only second honors but experience and a solid group of friends that I helped gained through those activities. If you're not in a club, and you want to be, go ahead and do it. Because of those experiences, I want to go in college and join groups such as a BSU (Black Student Union) and possibly sign up for a singing club/group. It's really never too late to be a part of something and be out there. Yes, it's better to start earlier than later, but it's really never too late.

4. Your senior year will be harder

Well, not necessarily harder in where you will get an extremely harder content to learn. But, for me, my senior year had a VERY heavy amount of projects and papers to do. Like any given week, especially towards the end, I would have like 2 papers and a project to do. They say it's to help prep for college, and I guess I get that cause if I can finish two projects and a research paper that were due BACK TO BACK TO BACK then I guess I can handle what college can throw at me. (I hope).

So, yeah. In the end, a lot of people's senior year of high school is their favorite. Mine certainly was cause I was actually starting to feel comfortable and I overcame a lot in my 4 years from mental health and beyond, so I'm pretty sure all of you guys will love your year as well and I hope you all get into your dream college.

I kinda feel like I got into mine. I don't know what it was, but I chose UAlbany and once I got accepted, everything just made sense and I didn't care about any other college choices after I got their yes and I'm so excited and nervous for move-in day and I can't wait to see how these new 4 years as a freshman will work for me for now knowing the things I've learned and have shared with you guys.

Okay, I'm rambling. Have a good school year and don't take those free textbooks for granted!

Love you guys.

Bye. <3
July 30th, 2015 at 06:15pm