I Got Called out for Disliking Miley Cyrus

Hiya!

Before I get into ANYTHING, has anybody bought Badlands? I got it the day it came out (of course) and I absolutely LOVE IT. It's amazing and is now permanently going to be played in my car. If you haven't listened to it . . . do it. Halsey is incredible. My favorite song is Roman Holiday.

ANYWAYS, so the VMAs were on last night. I honestly don't know why I watched it. One Direction wasn't there, they didn't get nominated for anything, Halsey was there but didn't perform. Twenty One Pilots performed and Nicki won an award so that was cool.

However, it was basically just a huge melting pot of racism. Especially from Miley Cyrus.

First of all she had DREADS. And they were ugly. And yet people praised them???? Idk.

Anyways, so Miley Cyrus made weed joke after weed joke, wore her fake ass dreads, attempted to act "ghetto" and pretend that all of these rappers were her friends, sexualized Kim Kardashian's breasts, endorsed Donald Trump, sang a stupid song about smoking weed, and attempted to fight Nicki Minaj when she had absolutely no chance of winning whatsoever.

I don't like Miley Cyrus. At all. And I tweeted that, something like "Miley Cyrus wants to be black so bad, I can't stand her."

A few people retweeted and favorited it, and I'm like fine, cool. But then I see I have 6 new notifications.

It's this girl I go to school with who likes Miley Cyrus, calling me out. She's like, "I know you're a big feminist and you advocate LGBTQ rights so I think you should stop judging Miley for what she's like onstage and look at all she does for those causes! You're being really close minded."

I was like . . . . girl.

So I just wrote back, "I'm not being close minded, that's my opinion and I have reasons for it but you're free to have your own views on her."

I wanted that to be the only thing, like done and done, but she just kept coming at me, telling me that since Miley and I have similar views on feminism that I should like her.

Let me say this. Miley Cyrus is a white feminist. I do my best not to be that because I know it's not fair to WoC. I try to include everyone in my feminism. And just because Miley Cyrus and I both share similar views doesn't mean I should like her? She's done a lot of racist and transphobic things, made date rape jokes, and constantly appropriates black culture, as shown with the dreads, for one thing.

I wouldn't call it a Twitter fight. Both of us were being respectful and not insulting each other. However, other people got involved of course, just general subtweets about it and stuff. I was actually pleasantly surprised to see most people were on my side.

Idk. I just find it kind of sad that after everything Miley Cyrus has done, especially after the Nicki Minaj incident, this girl was trying to tell me I'm being hurtful.

And I get that everyone's faves are problematic, like look at my faves. They suck. But like . . . Miley Cyrus. I'd rather she at least acknowledge that Miley is doing some pretty bad stuff instead of trying to brush it away.

Anyways, in conclusion the VMAs were pretty much trash and I wasted 3 hours of my night watching it.

HAVE A GOOD DAY EVERYONE.
August 31st, 2015 at 04:50pm