A Writers Questionnaire

Some days I like to give you extra blogs, because some days I have stray thoughts when I should really be sleeping and I figure, I could wait and do that tomorrow, but then I think, nah, extra blog! And no, that wasn’t just me wasting word count away, but this sentence is.

So when I first came back to this site it was because I wanted to talk with other writers about how they went about writing things, about their stories, and maybe get some good feedback on my stories.

Now it’s been a while, and for the last few weeks I’ve been lacking all over on this site. I have, more or less, become one of those lurkers.

I really would like to change that while I still have time.

So here is my questionnaire for all you lovely Mibbians that would like to fill it out, be it in a comment, or in your own blog.

The start of a story! How do you figure out just what that is going to be?

After you’ve figured out where your story is starting, what is your next step?

Characters are essential in every story, they more or less make it, how do you make sure your characters are diverse?

When writing your characters do you get in their minds, or do they get in your mind?

Plot’s are fun! Do you develop the plot before you start writing, what does that process look like? Or do you just wing it?

Setting is also something that all the good stories have, of course. Where do you pull inspiration for your settings from? Do you browse the internet, or do you use places you’ve been?

Let’s not forget about detail. Details are like little goodies that every readers loves to devour, do you think you’re good at spreading them out and making your story look like a fabulous work of art? Or do you think that you could use a little help in that department?

Let’s go back to characters for a second. Are you a JK Rowling, or are you a George R. R. Martin?

How long do you try to make every chapter?

What is your favorite part about creating a story?

Do you emulate any of your favorite authors, or do you try and build your own style?

Is there a certain soundtrack you listen to when you’re working on your story?

What do you think your demographic is?

When you have writers block, because let’s face it, it happens, do you do anything to try to overcome it, if so what do you do?

We haven’t talked about dialogue yet, have we? No, we haven’t, no need to scroll up to check. So let’s talk about dialogue. How much is too much, and how much is too little?

Genre is also something worth talking about, is it not? What is one genre you love to write, a genre you hate to write, a genre you wish you could write, and a genre you wish didn’t exist at all?

When did you first start writing? What inspired you to take it on as a hobby? Or is it more than just a hobby for you?

Do you try to add subtle messages to your stories, if so, what?

Has there ever been something you’ve added to a story that you’ve wished someone would pick up on and ask you about, only to have it be completely looked over?

Finally, give some advice to your fellow authors, you don’t need to get deep here, you can be as shallow as you like, there’s no judging.

Bonus round! Do you judge your characters? If they do things you don’t like, do you contemplate letting bad things happen to them?

What is one sentence you’re absolutely proud of?

Titles, yes I almost forgot to say anything about this part of the story, shame on me. How do you come up with titles? Do you use working titles?

If you could get published, would you use your own name, or would you use a pen name? Why?

And staying with that question, if you were to be published, who would you dedicate your first book to?


That’s it, done! Hope you like it. I definitely procrastinated doing anything more... valuable with my time. I definitely pulled a few of those questions out of thin air. Now I’m off to do something else... Like procrastinate.
September 1st, 2015 at 04:52am